Bloodletting Beast is a Boss in Bloodborne.
- There are two versions of this boss: Headed and Headless.
- The Headless form can shoot bugs from the gash in its back (inflicts rapid poisoning).
- The Headed form can grab the player when he/she's underneath him.
- Bloodletting Beast is weak to Fire & Serrated.
- Bloodletting Beast is strong to Bolt.
- Very weak against serration. Recommend weapons Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear in their short range mode, or threaded cane in whip mode.
- Hitting his head deals more damage than hitting the rest of his body, as well as providing more chance to stagger him. Because of that, the Hunter Axe's long reach can become very handy against him. The axe's 2H R1 second swing and 2H R2 are both vertical swings, capable of hitting his face repeatedly.
- Patience. His first phase is simple: dodge backwards, and when he does the head bite forward, hit his head. 2h sword L2 attack works great. Will stun him eventually.
- Watch out for a quick follow up attack he throws in sometimes after his normal swing, swing, bite. That attack is a quick swipe and a bite. If you dodge you can get another hit.
- His final phase is annoying. Do not lock on. You need to dodge roll out of the way of his non stop attacks until he smashes the ground. You need to stay relatively close to him however. Roll, roll, roll...and when he slams ground, get him.
- A method that works throughout the entire fight (with patience) is to not lock onto the boss, and dodge/walk around the boss' left leg to get behind him. You have a lot of time in between his swings to get a couple hits in on the legs. Make sure to keep the camera focused up so that you can dodge his attacks.
- Don't be defensive: if you keep at range he will mess you up with it's powerful swipes and punches. Try to be aggressive.
- Hit him in the face when possible, that way you can Visceral Attack him to the ground.
- Be warned in some boss rooms he can fall on you due to small elevation in the terrain causing you to pancake but take no damage. His attacks will still hurt you while you are on the ground in this situation.
- If you concentrate on one limb, leg or hand, it will eventually start to bleed, staggering the boss for a while. From that point on that limb will take additional damage until the boss calms down, descends his hands to the floor, yellow lights appear and the boss heals the wound. After that the limb will take normal damage. The calm healing phase is an excellent opportunity to attack another limb and stagger the boss to interrupt the healing.
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Charging Claw Swipe||Briefly rears back before charging forward while swiping with its hand. Typically performed when at a distance from the beast. Stay close if you want to avoid this move. Otherwise, dodge to the side just before the charge reaches you.|
|Claw Swipe||Two consecutive claw swipes directly in front of itself. Depending on the distance to the hunter, it may only swipe its' hand once. Followed by a Forearm Smash if the hunter is in range.|
|Ground Pound||Pounds fists into a ground four times in a row. Dodge forward between the third and fourth pounds to open up an attack opportunity.|
|Backhand||Swipes back of hand along flank and rear. Dodge backwards to avoid this attack.|
|Grab||Picks the hunter up, bites them, then smashes them to the ground. Does substantial damage. Hunters directly beneath the beast are vulnerable to this attack. Keeping to its rear or sides to avoid being grabbed.|
|Forearm Smash||Smashes forearm into the ground. Often follows the second Swipe.|
|Double Forearm Smash||Triggered when below 50% health. Smashes both forearms into the ground. After the smash, it briefly presents its head and arms for attack.|
|Palm Smash||Triggered when below 50% health. Smashes palms to the ground: first the left, then the right. The second smash is preceded by an extremely long wind-up where the creature lifts its right leg high into the air. While the first palm smash is abrupt and can be difficult to avoid, the second is clearly telegraphed.|
|Stomp and Jump||Stomps foot into the ground before jumping away from the player. Keep your wits about you as some of the beast's most powerful attacks are triggered at range.|
|Punch||Pulls fist back before thrusting it forward. Be wary of its deceptively long reach and tremendous power.|
|Blood Rain (Headless Version)||A shower of blood erupts from the gash in the back of the beast. These projectiles have tracking properties similiar to A Call Beyond, dodge sideward to evade the rain.|
Worm Jab (Headless Version)
|Triggered after Hateful Maggot emerges from neck when its health reached 50%. The transformed beast thrusts its worm forward from one to three times. Inflicts Rapid Poison. Keep to its flanks or rear to avoid this hard-hitting attack.|
|The beast will perform this attack when it loses track of the player, it will claw nearly every inch in it's radius. With enough space it can be avoided completely, however, any movement will re-alert the beast to the player's location|
The recommended weapon for this boss in this strategy is the burial blade. Other weapons can be viable though. The main strategy employed for this boss is to bait his attacks and once recognizing the attack pattern; reacting accordingly. This guide is accompanied by a video that is included in the videos section. Keep facing the boss and the following attacks can come out:
- A series of downward stomps followed by either a longer range slash or a larger body stomp. Where you move during this combo actually determines which move he will use at the end:
- If you back away for the first three strikes he will most likely end the combo with the longer range swipe. After the third stomp dodge below the swipe and connect some hits.
- If you dodge below him during the first two stomps then he will end the combo with a large body slam. In this case you need to dodge away from him and then dash back to him as you should have time for at least a single attack.
- The boss will sometimes keep approaching you and will do one of two things:
- The boss will walk to you and then stomp with his leg and back away. In this case you need to dodge back to avoid the stomp and then close in the distance quick and return to be facing and in front of him and continue baiting.
- The boss will do a larger body stomp and will not be able to attack for a small period of time. dodge back to avoid the stomp then dash forward and connect some hits.
- Two long hand swipes. The first swipe will come from the players left side (the right hand of the boss) and the second swipe will be from the other side but have longer range. The optimal reaction to this is to dodge diagonally below his first swipe and then dodge in the other diagonal side between his legs. This will leave you behind the boss exactly and you can connect some hits (this is shown in the video included in the videos section). You can also dodge the first swipe by dodging backwards and then simply dodging forward will leave you below the boss for a hit. However in this case, the boss might do a body stomp sometimes.
- At any time you are below, on the sides of the boss or behind him. The boss will sometimes raise one of his hands slightly from the ground. This is an indication that the boss will swipe that hand towards you, you need to dodge under it and connect a hit.
- When the boss jumps away from you, he can do one of multiple things:
- Keep walking towards you and use the usual attack patterns. In this case bait as usual react accordingly to the attack.
- The boss can start shaking his body and blood will splash around, the blood will attack like ranged arrows , just rush his head in this case and keep attacking him till he stops this attack.
- The boss can stop and take a stance. This signifies that he will do a body charge attack and is a very dangerous attack. It is possible to dodge below one of his arms as he charges but the timing can be tricky sometimes. It is may also be possible to just run sideways but that option has not been studied in this guide.
- Sometimes he will do a quick single arm swipe to catch you off guard. I have not figured what triggers this attack but it should not be too hard to dodge.
- After about 50% of the hp of the boss is gone, a parasite worm like head will stretch out from the head area. Most attacks remain unchanged. The only change is that when you are in front of the boss the head can stretch and attempt to attack in a straight line or in an arc. Dodging these attacks isn't very hard. However If you have been hit by the boss and retreated to heal. Be very careful from the parasite head attacks as they can finish you if you are low on health. In this stage the boss goes berserk sometimes and keeps stomping around his position. Going under the boss is safe during this attack and you can connect some hits before going back out.
- Attacking the boss sufficiently can stun the boss for a little period of time. You will see the boss stop moving and on all four limbs. Keep attacking until he gets up again.
- When the boss finishes his attacks and before the next series of smashes start, walk straight towards his legs without target lock. If you are not too close or boss is already walking towards you this will bait the boss to either smash with both hands or punch the floor two times and then smash. If he only smashes with both hands roll between his legs to avoid the smash (timing needs practise), turn around and slash the leg. If the boss punches the floor two times and then smashes walk through his legs and wait behind him until the smash is over before attacking.
- After you R1-attack 1-2 times roll away, wait for his attacks and after them walk towards his legs again.
- There is a chance that the boss will do "stomp and jump" attack instead which is hard to dodge. The stomp however does way less damage than the smash so concentrate only on identifying the smash and try dodging the stomp only if you are sure it is coming and not the smash. If you want to play it little saver walk towards his left leg (your right) instead.
- After the worm pops out try to avoid being directly in front of him when walking towards the boss because worm likes to lunge straight forward.
- This strategy will try to create some predictability on his attacks but is not easy to execute
- Create your ultimate weapon, Simon's Bowblade.
- Learn how to dodge and avoid this boss's attacks. First of all you will be constantly running around. Secondly, you will want to be able to use your blood vials for extra blood bullets instead of needing them to heal.
- Stay just out of reach and always use the strongest Bowblade attack you have time for (to do the most damage per arrow)
- Use his ranged missile attack to your advantage. Strafe side to side and shoot in between his ranged attacks. Often this boss will attempt this move 5 or more times in a row which allows you to get in some free ranged attacks, heal, or create blood bullets.
- His japanese name (獣血の主) means "Host of the Beast Blood".
- Because of the skull in The Grand Cathedral, the Headless Bloodletting Beast was once speculated to be Laurence, an apprentice of Master Willem and the founder of the Healing Church. This theory is still controversial (see page comments).
- The gash on his back looks almost identical to the horns of Manus, Father of the Abyss (dark souls dlc).
- The gash is also very similar to the split in the Nightmare Headstone.
- The Headless form shoots blood projectiles, which are in fact small flying bugs .