Pthumerian Descendant (トゥメル人の末裔 Toumeru hito no matsuei lit. "Pthumerian Descendant") is a Boss in Bloodborne.
The Descendant is a fast and relentless attacker that can be very difficult at high lvl depths. They may appear in any chalice dungeon and are a good source of Cold Blood Gems.
- Central Pthumeru Chalice (Layer 3)
- Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice (Layer 1)
- Occasionally appear as rare mob in Depth 5 Root Chalices.
- Various FRC Ihyll and Isz Chalices
- Weakest to Arcane; weak to Fire Damage
- Defeat Pthumerian Descendant through chain staggering. Simply lock onto him and back-peddle away. Eventually he will quick step towards you to close the distance; blast him with your blunderbuss at this point, this will stagger him and you'll be able to easily dispatch him with Visceral Attacks. The timing seems to be fairly loose, but if you fail the timing the blast will still cause him to recoil and let you backstep away to bait him into following once more. Once he hits phase two he'll pull out a second Shotel and become more aggressive, including running towards you. Just backstep to keep enough distance to bait him into quickstepping towards you and follow the same strategy.
- Once staggered, he dodges away from you. To prevent this, keep him against the walls and he will have nowhere to retreat.
- The Combination of Lead Elixir (anti-stagger) and Beast Roar (will knock him to the ground if out of stamina or at low hp) ensuring an easy win.
- When in 50% health he roars and begins to separate his one blade into two. Get behind him, charge R2 attack and get a chance to backstab him. It can also cancel his separation attempt and he will try it again, giving you another opportunity to backstab him.
- If you have a fast and powerful weapon, with high damage per second, you can try to get him standing near a wall to stop his retreat and spam R1 when he is in 60% health. That way you can damage him to 50% so he begins the blade separation while under your heavy slashing. A good way to do high damage fast.
- For an Arcane build, use gloves to stagger while getting close to deal damage. Repeat until dead.
- Transformed Axe L2 (sweep attack) is very effective just after dodging behind him.
One bladed moveset
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Rushing attack||Often the first attack he does. If you are far away he quicksteps near you and swings his sword 1-4 times. The first attack is hard to parry and it depends on your distance but try firing your pistol immediately when you see him lifting his hand while rushing towards you. Mostly dodging towards him and endind up behind him is the best strategy.|
|Charge attack||Charges a heavy slash by lifting his left hand slowly up, then yanking it fastly behind his head and then immediately slashing hard and continues with 1-2 fast and powerfull following slashes. First slash is easy to parry.
To counter shot fire pistol just before the charge is finished and the first slash starts, precisely when the fast yank happens. Fire blunderbuss little sooner, more precisely when the arm is lifted up but the yank has not started yet.
|Blade toss||Throws his blade at you and it boomerangs back to him. Blade can go through obstacles and walls. Mostly dodge left or right. Shooting him staggers him cancelling the attack and makes the flying blade teleport back to his hands safely not hurting you.|
|Left to right swing +combo||Starts from lifting his left hand up and slashing to his low right, then lifts his hand to his upper right and slashes to upper left. If you are close he follows with 1-2 fast slashes. He can stop after first slash if you are far away. To get a chance to hit back walk far enough to avoid the first slash and dodge step the second to his left side (your right) to get behind him. This way he stops slashing and you get a very good opening for attacks. To get a parry fire your pistol after the first slash.|
|Right to left + combo||Starts from lifting his left hand up to his right side and slashing to his upper left, and then slashes 1-3 times. Harder to parry since the first strike is faster than in "left to right" move so there is less time to react to the following swing. Often dodging back, away from him, is the best strategy.|
|Recovering slash||After getting visceral attacked Descendant gets slowly up from the floor and takes a fast slash towards you instead of quickstepping away. Chances of a slash is high if you are close to him or he is near walls and can't quickstep away. This is actually a safe opportunity to try to parry him. After visceral attact get only a little closer to him so that the slash can't reach you and keep an eye on his right hand while he is getting up. Hand makes a U-turn like movement during getting up animation. Fire your pistol just before the U-turn is finished. Timing is difficult but if you are far enough there is no downside in failure since he either quicksteps away or the slash can't reach you.|
|Blade separation||When in 50% health he quicksteps away from you, holds his blade high and splits it to two blades with a long shout starting the second phase of the fight. Keep an eye on his health bar. After you damage him under 50% health stay near him. When he quicksteps away run towards him (he won't attack) and get behind him with a quick weapon while he roars. Hold R2 for a charge attack and get a backstab chance. If done fast enough you can interrupt the separation and he has to do it again after visceral attack.|
Two Blade moveset
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Rushing attack||About the same attack as one bladed rush attack. Don't try to parry. It is possible but extremely risky.|
|Blade toss||Tosses his blades more often than in first phase and distance to trigger the toss is shorter. Throws one or both blades. Safest direction to dodge is your left or if you are far enough straight away from him.|
|Jumping attack||If you are far away from him he can jump towards you and make an X -shaped slash with his swords when he lands. Just dodge away or behind him when you think he is about to land.|
|Two bladed golf swing
to smash and X -slash
|Lowers his both blades fast to his right side and then swings them up and left side of him and continues with slowly starting heavy two blade smash and heavy X -shaped two blade slash.
When you see his both hands high in his left side while he charges the smash attack fire pistol to get the counter shot of the following slash. Works when his both hands go up together and not slightly in turns which is another type of attack.
|Faster golf swing and smash||If you are close to him he can do slightly faster golf swing with slightly sooner starting smash and no X -slash. Parry timing is shorter and very difficult so dodging away or staying little farther away from him to not to trigger this move helps.|
|One-two + one-two combo||Swings his swords side to side in turns 1-4 times. First blade goes up and second one goes horizontally left or right and then he repeats.|
|2 swings and an X -slash||Swings both of his blades up to his right, then to his left and then finishes with the X -shaped slash. Fire pistol when he is charging the X -slash. Rather easy parry if you identify the combo soon enough.|
During the fight have a quick weapon (Blade of Mercy, Saw Cleaver, etc.) now dodge his attacks by going to his right side and attack him once or twice, he should then back off giving you breathing room however there is a uncommon chance he will simply turn towards you and attack you, so its important after you attack him to back-step away. His second stage is tricky, only attack when you know for sure he won't go into a combo attack, keep your distance and shoot him to get a visceral attack. Continue this until victory.
In the first phase keep the distance between you so short that the first attack of a combo won't hit you but the secound would. Concentrate only on two of his attacks: charge attack and left to right + combo. Those are the easiest to parry (timings in the attack description above). Dodge rest. If the distance between you are too long he quicksteps towards you before starting to attack. When so always dodge away and don't try to countershot. Try to parry only when he begins an attack from walking animation.
In the second phase keep a sligthly longer distance to avoid faster version of golfswing but not too much since he tosses his blades now more often than before. Concentrate to parry only his slower smash after golfswing and the X -shaped slash after 2 swing combo. Also one-two combo is punishable if you manage to stay close enough to trigger him to continue after first one-two. Important: stay close! If you let him get far away his wider variety of long range attacks is much more dangerous than in phase one. Also getting countershots now is also more difficult.
This strategy is for builds with 20 arc, and can be used to effectively keep Descendant on the defensive for the entire fight. Slash your wrists for blood bullets, then vial up. Be cautious in your timing, as Descendant likes to use his throwing attack before you can heal. Wait until he dodges, then as his animation ends, cast the Executioner's Gloves. Immediately sprint toward him and perform a sprinting R2, followed by R1. The sprinting R2 will stagger Descendant, guaranteeing the R1 to connect on a quick weapon (if he dodges backward instead of to the side, your followup will connect on any weapon). Back away and be prepared to dodge in case he counters, but most often he will dodge away. If he dodges, immediately repeat the assault, then get some distance and refill your blood bullets. If Descendant successfully hits you while you are casting, don't panic: he will still be stunlocked when the skulls connect. Take advantage of this to regain by attacking, then get some distance and heal. This strategy can be mixed with Strategy 2 with a Blood Rapture or Oerdon Writhe rune.
- Is something called "Elder" but uses the descendant weapons. "Elder" has 16511 HP in FRC Ihyll/Loran/Isz
- This Boss can also be a regular enemy in chalice dungeons.(possibly as a result of using a fetid or rotted offering)