Undead Giant (死体の巨人 lit. "Corpse Giant") is a Chalice Dungeon Boss in Bloodborne.
The boss comes in multiple varieties. All varieties have the same standard shape, with a torso, head, two arms and two legs.
- Variant 1: Two blades in place of the lower half of its arms.
- Variant 2: A large cannon on the left arm, and a blade on the right. This one is so far unique, in that it has a ranged attack.
- Variant 3: A large club for smashing on the right arm, and a large scythe like blade on the right. Also has several ball and chains attached to its back.
- He is weak to fire, so Molotovs do decent damage against him.
- He is also weak to bolt, Tiny Tonitrus with high Arcane stat will do a very high damage to him.
- Beast Roar occasionally protects you from the direct hit of cannon by deflecting it, it immediate explodes when it's caught by the roar and you can still get hurt by the explosion, however.
- The boss has a kind of lump on his right leg (Melee), left shoulder (Cannon), or left leg (Chain) if you hit it multiple times it will explode taking a huge chunk of his HP.
- His attacks do very high damage and are AoE. Because of this, the best dodging strategy is to dodge through his attack and get behind him. He can't hit you behind him unless he does a telegraphed spin attack or a AoE ground pound to get you, which are both easily dodged.
- Be mindful of only attacking after having dodged an attack from him, attacking him from behind is key. You should get at least two hits on him before backing off, rinse and repeat this strategy and he should go down without much trouble.
- The hammer fist variant with the ball and chains is capable of instantly killing the player with his hammer fist, but is extremely slow and predictable. Approach with extreme caution, and play the fight very safe and cautiously. In low health this variant gives a very few safe openings to attack him so consider finishing him off with poison knives as he can be poisoned.
- The cannon variant shoots the cannon at long range twice in a row, run directly at him during this to get in some free hits and then back out. Watch out at mid range, as he can shoot the ground in front of him.
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
|Scythe Swings||Swings the weapon once or twice. (Melee)|
|Kick||Kick or stomps the hunter once or repeatedly. (All)|
|Axe Swing||Swings the axe horizontally or vertically once or twice. (Cannon)|
|Strong Axe Swing||Swings the axe with a timed delay. (Cannon, 50% health or below)|
|Cannon||Fires cannon for 1-4 times (Cannon, will fire within melee range at 50% health or below)|
|180 degree swing|
|Smash with 2 arms||AoE wave slam, does that when they reach 50% health. (Melee & Chain)|
|Jump attack||Leaps toward the hunter. (Melee)|
|Lunging Swing||Lunges toward the player with the sickle on its left arm. Causes the chains on its back to flail around. (Chain)|
|360 degree spin||Spins himself along with the chains, has very wide range. (Chain)|
The Undead Giant's attacks are generally slow and telegraphed, but deal extremely high damage if they connect.
While the attacks differ slightly for each form, there are many consistencies when fighting each. His attacks normally have good forward range and sweep around to his sides, so the safest way to avoid them are to dodge towards in order to get behind him to attack.
This will only provide a brief opening however, as all three giants utilize a quick spin attack when the player gets behind them.
The spin attack has very short range however, and simply dodging away will allow the player to avoid damage. Each giant will also utilize a slam AOE attack when below 50 percent life. It deals high damage, but the AOE is very small behind the giant.
Should you be at the giants feet when he initiates the attack, the safest thing to do is run/dodge behind him.
Each giant also has a huge deformed bulbous growth somewhere on their body. Attacking it repeatedly will cause it to burst, dealing high damage and stunning the giant.
It is recommended to attack the growth once the giant falls below 50 percent health as he becomes much more dangerous then, and the burst damage can help finish him off. He is fairly resistant to elements, but bolt works the best if utilizing paper or elemental weapons.
The left shoulder growth of the Cannon Giant can he directly hit with Burial Blade vertical slam once he swings his axe horizontally for the second time. Always bait the giant to swing his weapon twice so you can hit him without problem. at 50% health, his horizontal swing is occasionally replaced by a timed horizontal powerswing which doesn't swing twice.
The hammer giant has a deadly lunge attack when below 50 percent life that has a teleprahed wind up and should be sprinted directly away from to avoid the swipe and ball and chains connected to his back.
The cannon giant wil sometimes shoot the ground in front of him for high damage with nearly no wind up, and this attack can be difficult to avoid. Once he goes below 50 percent life stay close to him, utilize pillars to approach him, or circle him as you approach to discourage use of the cannon.
Finally, the scythe giant is fairly straightforward, just beware his jump attack when he falls below 50 percent life. Like the cannon giant, staying close to him can discourage use of this attack.
For Hunters with high Bloodtinge and Arcane (preferably 40), Tiny Tonitrus combined with the use of Bloodbullet will make the fight completely trivial, not only it deals high damage, it has chance to stagger and even parry the Giant, allowing Visceral Attack to be executed (Oedon Writhe can be extremely useful as it allows Quicksilver Bullets to be replenished with Visceral Attack). Should it be still alive, one can shoot him with Bone Ash Evelyn, and if 10 shots weren't enough, use Oil Urn and Molotov to bring him down.
The variant with the club and sickle is possibly the hardest and most frustrating variant to fight due to the chains on its back flailing around with some of its heavier attacks. These chains can deal heavy damage on their own, and often catch players off-guard by swinging immediately after the Giant's arm-attacks. This variant also has a spin attack which has a small telegraph time and can one-shot most players.
1.) For the 1st stage (>50% health), bait the Giant into using its chain spin attack by sticking to its sides and rear. Train yourself to recognize the tell it does before the attack. The chains usually cover more than a 360-degree range, which means that dodging to the side or under the Giant can cause you to get hit immediately after your dodge, so dodge directly away from the giant (or back-step) when the chains come swinging in. Follow up your dodge with an attack immediately afterwards, and make sure you're using a quick enough weapon to let yourself dodge the next attack (R1 with transformed Whirligig Saw worked for me).
Repeat this until the Giant gets down to 50% health, which it telegraphs with a double-arm smash that unleashes a powerful shock wave, knocking back players in the immediate vicinity.
2.) For the 2nd stage, the Giant gains a few more nasty attacks, one of which is the aforementioned shock wave slam. This attack can be countered in the same manner as the spin attack in phase 1. Another attack to watch out for is when the Giant reels back its sickle arm while moving forward, and finishes with a heavy lunge attack. The nasty part is that it also sends its back-chains flying around its left flank. Dodging forward directly under its sickle arm as it swings should cause the chains to fly safely over your head, allowing for a follow-up to the Giant's back.
Keep these 3 heavy attacks in mind, and if it raises its club, be careful not too dodge to early as this move has good tracking. After recognizing this strategy and adjusting to it over the course of a couple attempts, I was able to go from using all my vials and getting killed before it had 25% health left to using 5 at most and killing it without many problems.
- Cannon variant and two blade variant can be encountered as a rare regular enemy in chalice dungeons. More often in high difficulty root chalice dungeons and if additional rites are used to create the dungeon.