Pthumerian Elder is a Chalice Dungeon Boss in Bloodborne.
This Pthumerian royal is a magical expert with a big bag of tricks. He can change his staff into almost any weapon and many of his attacks have magical secondary effects, fireslashes, explosions, summoning flaming spears underneath you. They can appear in any root chalice dungeon and are a good source of Cold Blood Gems
- Lower Hintertomb Chalice
- Occasionally appear as rare mob in Depth 5 Root Chalices.
- Short Ritual Root Chalice
- Cold Abyssal Blood Gem (in root chalice dungeons)
- The Pthumerian Elder utilizes pyromancy to transform his staff (or stick, to be appropriate) into various weapons: spear, crossbow, sickle, scythe, lance, and morning star. All of his attacks deal fire damage.
- When taking damage, the Pthumerian Elder teleports (usually twice in a row) to safety. He can teleport either forward or backward.
- As soon as the fight starts run left to avoid the crossbow bolt. Be aware of your surroundings in doing so, as the sides of the short bridge leading into the arena drop away to a bottomless pit, instant death should you fall in. Do not immediately dodge to either side to avoid the bolt.
- His sickle and scythe attacks have very long range, but have trouble hitting a hunter hugging the elder.
- Look for the slow starting first scythe swing or the sickle yank. As soon as the staff is raised at its highest point fire pistol to get a parry. After visceral attack dash in and spam R1 until he teleports away
- Watch out for the fast lance poke that looks like a slow move but isn't. Dodge whenever you see a lance. Do not try to parry the attack.
- Looking for an opening to get close is a good strategy since he doesn't fight back if you are very close. He only teleports away giving a few free shots before vanishing.
- After he enters the second phase (drops below 50% health), his morning star smash attack will be followed by a proximity explosion soon after where he hits.
- Focus on stunning the elder rather than dodging all of his attacks, it takes just one heavy hit.
- Black-Sky Eye is extremely effective at stunning the elder, can even be used to finish him off.
The elder is a tough boss to be sure. He's got range, teleportation and his attacks have a MASSIVE hit box. Your going to have to be a little inventive to survive here. But my main suggestion would be this: Don't lock on and never run, always role. His attacks are super wide, and the short dodge simply can't get you to safety most of the time. If you don't lock on, you will roll further and hopefully behind him and outside his range. Then you are free to get a few strikes into him. Also as I said, never walk towards him. He loves to use his super fast spear/slash combo on you while you are stunned. Constantly rolling reduces the chance of him hitting you. This is the same for his crossbow attack. This might seam like a small change, but it can help a lot. Remember, be persistent, and you will get it eventually.
Safe opening hunt -strategy
Use fast weapon like Saw Cleaver in short range mode. Tactic here is to wait for openings to get close savely and then spam R1. If he does not teleport try to cancel his attacks with occasional L1 mode change attack which might stagger him. While attacking slightly moving right helps to avoid some of his swings. When he teleports away immediately start dodging because he especially near walls he can teleport behind you and attack with sickle.
To get safe openings to dash in close, keep your distance and avoid those dangerously fast lance pokes. Stay in one quick step+some walking distance away from him. In his first phase safe openings are mainly the crossbow attacks and if you can counter shot the scythe. In second phase, if you keep your distance, safe openings are lance charge (dodge forward) and scythe jump (also dodge forward). The scythe swing right after raining fireball attack is easy to counter shot. In top of that poison knifes work too.
- Pthumerian Elder can also be a clone of Pthumerian Descendant. (the names can switch)
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Crossbow||Transforms staff into a crossbow then fires flaming bolt. Later in the fight he'll fire multiple bolts in succession. Often uses this attack after teleporting away from the player. Dodge to the side to avoid getting hit.|
|Scythe Combo||Transforms staff into a scythe before swinging it three times. The first two swings send out waves of fire while the third is a ground smash. On occasion, the ground smash will done with an axe or mace. When the Elder is below 50% health and his staff has transformed into a mace, the final smash will create a delayed explosion.|
|Jumping Scythe Attack||Transforms staff into a scythe then jumps at the player while attacking. Dodge just before he lands to avoid taking damage.|
|Wide Scythe Swing||Transforms staff into a scythe, pulls it behind his back, then swings. Be wary of this attacks' extremely wide range.|
|Mace Smash||Transforms staff into a mace, spins it around his head, then smashes it into the ground.|
|Sickle Attack||Transforms staff into a sickle then yanks the player towards them. If the first attack hits it's followed by a downward smash.|
|Lance Charge||Transforms staff into a lance and charges at the player.|
|Ground Pierce||Transforms staff into a spear then thrusts it into the ground. The tip of the staff then shoots up under the player. Has moderate range. Dodge as soon as you see the Elder thrust the tip of his staff into the ground.|
|Raining Fireballs||Twirls staff above head while fireballs rain down. The move ends with a wide scythe swing. Stand clear of this attack until he swings his scythe.|
- It is possible to get the boss to teleport to its own death .
- They have a cane that looks like a darker version of the Threaded Cane. They tap it when teleporting which could be its function.