Winter Lanterns (sometimes called "brain trusts" prior to the release of the official guide) are an enemy in Bloodborne. Grotesque creatures with a lethal gimmick, Winter Lanterns will constantly damage you and build up your frenzy meter with their gaze.
These vaguely humanoid, eldritch abominations roam the Nightmare Frontier and the Nightmare of Mensis. Winter Lanterns require line of sight to cast their deadly spell and despite their appearance they cannot see anything behind them. Be forewarned, frenzy will continue to build for a few seconds after line of sight is broken.
- Have Sedatives ready.
- Avoid fighting them up close, they cause Frenzy to build up while you are in their line of sight. In most cases, they are set up in a way that allows you to sneak past more or less undetected.
- Apart from their Frenzy AoE they only have one attack, a lunging grab attack that deals minor damage, but frenzy continues to build during the grab.
- Circle around them up close, and their grab should miss, which will leave their backs exposed for a long enough time to do a charge attack.
- Alternatively roll or dodge through their grab, but beware that the grab attack has good tracking and will catch you if you act too early.
- Wait halfway through the grab animation,
- Frenzy will not cause damage if it triggers in the middle of a visceral attack. Use this to your advantage, if you are farming them, by stacking an appropriate amount of frenzy resistance.
- Use the transformed Hunter Axe's heavy attack (Hold R2) to keep them on the ground.
- For those having trouble with this enemy, 3 sets of 2 poison throwing knifes are enough to kill one (except in The Nightmare Frontier, those are immune to Slow Poisoning).
- Can be knocked down with Burial Blade charge attack,
- Heavy weapons can stagger and cancel their grab, you can charge one, smash it a few times, then quickly roll away and use the sedative before you get frenzied.
- Simon's Bowblade in its bow form is a reliable weapon against this enemy for builds with high Bloodtinge. Being able to one-shot them or tear apart huge chunks of their hp with a charge attack.
- Similar to the Brain of Mensis, they cause frenzy by looking at you.
- If they do not notice you, the hunter will remain unaffected by Frenzy. However they will still afflict Frenzy even without outright attacking you. Simply being within their cone of vision will cause Frenzy.
- Blue Elixirs are very useful for negating their Frenzy effect.
- Winter Lanterns after the Lighthouse lamp can drop Physical ATK Blood Gems up to +22.3% (Old Hunter's DLC).
|Nightmare Frontier||1700||2759||(x3) 62%||(x10) 5%||(5) 33%||(2) 33%||(2) 33%|
|Nightmare of Mensis||1700||10177||(x3) 62%||(x10) 5%||(5) 33%||--||--|
- Their brain seems to be entwined with several messengers.
- Winter can be related to Death or Slumber, and, considering the high threat that these enemies pose, could imply that their name refers to them as a "death beacon" of sorts.
- At a certain level of Insight, they will begin singing in an off-key tone.
- They wear what appears to be a blood-stained version of the Doll set. minus the shawl
- Close examination of their hands reveal that they have the same hands as The Doll, albeit slimy and covered in tentacles.
- Their bodies are a great deal taller than The Doll and there is no doll head underneath the brain.
- Their mouths look just like venus fly traps.
- It has a large gash along the spine for which there is yet no explanation.