Tonsil Stone is a Key Item in Bloodborne.
Tonsil Stone Usage
- Will allow access to the Nightmare Frontier when grabbed by the Lesser Amygdala in the church at the end of a path to the left of (while exiting) the Grand Cathedral.
Received from the first red lantern NPC (i.e. any NPC speaking from inside a house) you speak to after entering the Forbidden Woods. Provided that the house is still occupied, a different voice will replace the normal NPC and will offer you this item and some vague instructions. After reloading the area the normal NPC dialogue will resume.
- Red Lantern locations (not exhaustive, just some more convenient examples) :
- Central Yarnham - Gilbert is available right at the first lightpost. Before the large bonfire is a red lantern door near a wagon. After taking the first railing skip there is a small fountain with a red lantern and door.
- Cathedral Ward - Instead of going left to Hemwick, go right. In the area with the hunter encounter you will find two red lanterns that may provide the stone.
- Hemwick Charnel Lane - House between first lightpost and elevator.
- Forbidden Woods - The house on a hill, near the dog cages at the edge of the hamlet.
- Lanterns with NPCs you have sent away will be unresponsive and so cannot offer the stone after the NPC has left their dwelling.
- Many lantern NPCs become unresponsive after the Blood Moon world change (triggered when you approach Queen Yharnam after killing Rom, the Vacuous Spider) and thus limit where you can receive this stone post-Rom. This is not that important as you will gain access to the Lecture Hall and thus the Nightmare Frontier after killing the One Reborn, which is right after Rom.
- If you still want to get it, the red lantern in the Forbidden Woods will remain available.
- The voice speaking during the Tonsil Stone monologue is of Patches the Spider. If you get grabbed by the Amygdala, this will be the NPC you will meet in Lecture Building (1F).
- Tonsil translates to "Amygdale" in French, in Spanish it is "Amigdala" and in Greek it is "αμυγδαλα" (amygdala).
- You won't lose your blood echoes when grabbed by Amygdala, however if you get grabbed by Amygdala again for the next time, you will lose health and potentially die due to Frenzy.
- After 40 Insight the Amygdala will be visible even before the Blood Moon.
- See Patches the Spider for more details