|Locations||Cathedral Ward, Yahar'Gul|
Lesser Amygdalae are the Great Ones that can be found in various places over the course of the Hunt. Some attack, and some teleport the Hunter to other areas. They are treated as scenery obstacles instead of physical enemies.
- Outside Cathedral Ward. Afflicts Hunter with Frenzy if grabbed. Teleports the Hunter to The Hunter's Nightmare if carrying Eye of a Blood-Drunk Hunter.
- Just before Yahar'gul, the Unseen Village. Teleports the Hunter to Lecture Hall: 1F if carrying the Tonsil Stone.
- Over the first long staircase in Yahar'gul, afflicts Hunter with Frenzy by grabbing.
- Over the second long staircase in Yahar'gul, blasting it with Arcane Beams once the Hunter approaches.
- If Rom, the Vacuous Spider has not been defeated, they can be seen if the player has 40+ Insight.
- They can be seen at any insight level if Rom has been defeated.
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
|Grapple||If grabbed, teleports the Hunter to other locations while inflicting Frenzy.|
|Arcane Beam||Sweeps an area with Arcane Beam, the trail is fixed and can be predicted when many eyes grew on its head.|
- Amygdala (plural: Amygdalae) means "Almond" in Latin and "Almond" or "Almond Tree" in Greek (ἀμυγδάλη).
- Amygdala is a bilateral neural structure set deep within the limbic system of the brain. It is thought to be responsible for learning and organizing fear responses. Amygdalectomy - surgical removal of this structure - is associated with reduced capacity to learn memories related to fear and behaving fearfully, and the shape of Amygdala's head (and the heads of the other beings of similar appearance) roughly corresponds with the shape of this region in the brain.
- The Arcane Beam can damage both the Hunters and enemies, this includes Adversaries (invaders).
- Their eyes are visible when they fires Arcane Beams, making the belief of Great Ones having many eyes accurate.
- The opening in their chest opens and closes as if breathing. Though maybe they are winking very slowly.
- They don't seem to have the orange eyes of Amygdala in their hands, chest and feet. (needs confirmation)
- The Lesser Amygdalae become visible if the hunter has at least 40 Insight OR if the world has entered the Blood Moon phase.
- Patches the Spider speaks before the Amygdala sends the Hunter to the Lecture Building: "Oh Amygdala, have mercy on the poor bastard!"
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
It's very likely that they're grown up celestial larvae. Statues in Yahargul show the process of their growth in a fair amount of detail. They even possess the same open chest cavity.
The head looks a lot like a dried almond fruit (the thing that holds almond seeds, what we usually eat) which ties in more with the latin root word. I wonder what the brain region looks like...
So I'm not sure if I discovered something or not but one of the passive ones in yahar goul watches you and when I walked to a certain place it looked away
I like cheese!
do they have hitboxes?
Oh the fun of being ignorant to the truth
Has anyone noticed that the one outside of the Yahar’gul Chapels head seems to follow your movements as if it’s watching you? Idk if they all do it but this one definitely does.
Just killed one. Wasn’t that hard to be honest.
What is Amygdala?
Put the dogs in and hit them right
I just saw one below the grand cathedral right after the two butcher dudes in the big circular arena and as I died it occurred to me I only have like 12 insight... hmm?
is there a way to get to yahar'gul before killing rom the *****face spider?
I'm really intrigued by the HP Love Craft influence in this game. The monsters seems like they can be visualised in a direct adaption of the HP Love Craft universe.
"Oh Amygdala, have mercy on the poor bastard willya?!" -Patches The Spider-
I love BloodBorne more than anything but the way you enter the dlc is *****ing*****. I had to look this up to find it, and I've never had to do that before. And it just pisses me off because of how many hours I spent searching for it.
Even with 40 insight, the ones in Yahar'gul still can't be seen unless you trigger the Blood Moon. I wonder why these ones don't come down until the phase change, but the two in the Cathedral Ward are present even before the sun sets?
I thought each one of the great ones are unique. Shouldn't there be only one amygdala since they refer to it as a great one?
Pretty sure I had 2 insight drained by the one outside the Cathedral Ward. Went from 57 to 55.
I'm surprised nobody has made the connection between the shape of the head looking like a peach pit and the chemical Amygdalin.
All Amygdalas are near corpses with cages on their head.
Just commenting to clarify something in the Trivia section(hopefully someone will edit it):
Amygdala: plural of the word amygdalo(αμύγδαλο) which means almond in Greek.
Amygdali(αμυγδαλή): a derivative of the word amygdalo. It means "tonsil" in Greek! Very interesting, considering that Amygdalas have heads that look like tonsils!
Combine that with the fact that the Amygdala is also the part of the brain responsible for fear responses and you can see how incredibly clever and fitting that monster name is.
My own personal theory is that the Lesser Amygdalae are just shells cast off by the original Amygdala. After all, the Empty Phantasm Shell suggests that even the discarded skin of the slugs retains Arcane power. Maybe the opening in their chest is actually indicative of molting, considering their similarity to spiders.
Furthermore, I wonder if the pallid color of their eyes suggests madness? The only other enemies in the game, post-DLC, are the blood-drunk hunters. Some of their pupils are also significantly collapsed. Perhaps they're representative of the pitfalls of the school's research, and the obsession with the Nightmare? Furthermore, both of the interactive Amygdalae teleport you to a different area of the Nightmare, a place that's noticeably sepia-toned and pale, similarly to their eyes...
(I think the lore makes a lot more sense if you approach it with a Silent Hill symbolist sort of mindset.)
I have 46 insight but i cant see them
They look like more evolved Kin. Especially the tentacles and the laser.
Think for a moment. If Amygdala, the boss, is a Great One (as labeled by the Trophy and other sources), then why are there many? If this was true, then there's multiple Oedons, and multiple Moon Presences. It doesn't add up for me. In my opinion, Amygdalae are kinda like the Pthumerians, [maybe a race] that existed before Man that was touched by the Great Ones? I mean, Amygdala (boss) does have little glowy things dotting her body, while the other ones (obstacles) don't, they have tentacles.
Also, notice Amygdala (boss) was paler and had SOMETHING in her head, while the others (obstacles) were darker of skin and had hollow heads, albeit they show eyes when they fire their beam.
those are monsters
They are larger than the amygdala that we fight, they can't be killed and the also have tentacles, which amygdala doesn't. I believe the amygdala we fight is the lesser one.
Can you somehow get rid of them? Even after you kill Amygdala they won't move.
I think that you can see him BEFORE beating Rom if you have 40+ insight. When you defeat Rom he will be visible with less than 40 Insight, i could see him with just 35 :)
I can't believe one of them is right outside the Cathedral Ward exit, *shudders*
I knew they were big. I knew what circumstances you could see them under. But, dammit, I was not ready for it in game after defeating Rom, when it drops you in that room off the path to the right of the Grand Cathedral. "WHOA. HEY. HEY. HEY. WHOA. WHAT? WHOA."
this looks like the love child of Cthulhu and atlach-nacha
Do they just hang around for show, or do them try to fight you if you get close enough?
Amygdala and Lesser Amygdala have 7 arms not 8.
Been through this spot over a dozen times and bam...there he was on the building. One thing I love about this game...keeps surprising me.
One tried to grab me on a standard new game where you pick up the hunter clothes and I only have ten insight