Nightmare Frontier is a location in Bloodborne.
- Approach the Grand Cathedral (where Vicar Amelia is located) and turn right. Continue beyond the two hostile hunters you may or may not have already encountered. If you have defeated the Blood-Starved Beast, there will be a Snatcher on the path you are to follow. After a few enemies you will approach a building. While attempting to open the door within you will be transported by a Lesser Amygdala, but only if you have the Tonsil Stone. If you do not, you will simply be grabbed and killed.
- Alternatively you can get into the nightmare frontier without the tonsil stone. For this you must kill The One Reborn and react to the mummy and be transported to the lecture building, from there you can go down the ladder behind the giant, and talk to Patches. He will then move out of the way of the door and you can get to the 1st floor lamp and also the Nightmare Frontier.
Once you've made it to the first floor, find a big door in a hallway in Lecture Building ( ground floor). Travel through the glowing door from the Lecture Building, and there will a lantern that you can light to travel to the Hunters Dream.
- Patches, the spider (Ambush, no dialogue)
- Stunning Deep Sea rune - cross bridge and go up, then fall down.
- Fading Lake rune - slightly past where Chime maiden is, climb a narrow cliff.
- Clear deep sea rune - 2/3 the way into the swamp, on dry land.
- Great Deep Sea - in a long poison swamp river under ground towards the end of the zone
- Messenger's Gift - through large cave about halfway through the smaller swamp (the one Patches knocks you into) on the right side. You'll pass a frenzy causing brain trust (a very detailed guide can be found at the end of the playthrough section of this page)
- Clockwise Metamorphosis - Cross the bridge towards the spider, enter a cave where you see the rock throwing golem turn around and travel through a tunnel where you will see the rune
- Coldblood Flowerbud x4 - 2 in the swamp, 1 on the ledge on spiral path, 1 under Patches
- Frenzied Coldblood (9)
- Bold Hunter's Mark
- Kin Coldblood
- Lead Elixir
- Madman's Knowledge
- Bolt Paper
- Wolf Beast
- Scurrying Beast
- Large Scurrying Beast
- Giant Lost Child
- Hateful Maggot
- Chime Maiden
- Brain Trust
- 2 NPC hunters
- 1 uses hunter's axe and pistol, very aggressive but can be easily parried due to hunter's axe's slow speed. (never shoots his pistol)
- 1 uses threaded cane and blunderbuss, tends to use firearm more than melee.
- The axe wielding hunter appears before the cane wielding hunter. If the player does not advance further when spotted by the first, there is a chance that the second will not realize his friend is fighting at all, allowing them to be taken out one by one.
- Drops 1 lead elixir each when killed.
Upon arriving, the player finds themselves in a cave with a lamp. However they cannot return to Hunter's dream at this point because of a Chime Maiden's presence if the bell resonates with a Sinister Resonant Bell. After exiting the cave, do not walk up the ramp; there is a Scurrying Beast hidden to the right. Advance after killing it.
Atop the ramp we see a Silverbeast sitting with its back facing the player, with a Madman's Knowledge hidden on a body on the left. Go ahead and backstab the beast. Right underneath it you will find a cave with an elevator shaft - it is a shortcut leading right to the boss, but cannot be accessed at the moment. 2 Lead Elixir can also be found on a body. When advancing further, stick to the right ledge and you will find another silverbeast sitting near the ledge and a large scurrying beast right next to it. Try to kill the scurrying beast as soon as possible before the silverbeast gets a chance to attack you, or backstab the silverbeast and hope the scurrying beast hasn't escaped by the time you are finished. (Dropping down into the swamp here allows you to obtain the messenger's gift. This will be elaborated upon at the end of this guide.) Advance and you will see yet another silverbeast sitting with its back facing the player. Backstab it as usual.
You will then cross a bridge, after which you will be attacked by 2 NPC hunters (see above for details). After dispatching them, walk up the ramp on the left (where the axe wielding hunter appeared), jump over the gap and obtain a Fading Lake rune. A Madman's Knowledge can also be found below the gap.
Advance ahead and you will see a branching path, one of which leads to a large poison swamp. Go that way: we have unfinished business with the chime maiden. Do not enter the swamp; rather, stick to the right cliff and you will see a blue lantern and an opening on the cliff. Right on top of the ramp is the Chime Maiden. Greet her with a backstab-viseceral attack. Alternatively, if you wish to have an easier PvP matchmaking, it is advised to keep her alive for PvP dedicated purpose, especially the opening area right after the lamp is a convenient PvP location.
We may now return to Hunter's Dream. As the next area is much more dangerous, this is recommended if you wish to spend your echoes first.
Both branching paths lead to the boss, but the one on the right is recommended since the poison swamp is huge and there will be Yetis throwing boulders at you (1 direct hit will likely 100-0 you). Nonetheless there are a few items (mainly coldblood consumables) in the swamp so it might be worth taking a bit of time and picking them up.
[path to the right]
Taking the path to the right and you find yourself in a tunnel with a silverbeast. However this one is more dangerous as it fights you on all 4s (whereas the other ones stand upright and wield a torch at first). You will also find 2 Blood Vials on a body and a scurrying beast near the exit of the tunnel. A large area follows, with 3 yetis throwing boulders at you. Care should be taken if one wishes to take them out, as their boulders are deadly. Alternately, one can run past them since they are slow and do not chase the player. To continue, take the path on the left (the yeti on the right stands near a dead end), where a silverbeast can be found. The yetis can still hit you from here, so keep running or take cover behind a pillar while you fight.
After running past or killing the third yeti, you should go through a tunnel and arrive at an area with three branching paths. To the right is a scurrying beast and nothing else; the one straight ahead will take you right back to your starting point (near the lamp), note that standing at the end of the pillar will cause it to fall down and act as a convenient shortcut. To progress further, turn left. Look to your right while on the bridge: it is our old friend **Patches** clinging to the wall! He has set up a trap, complete with a note to lure us in and shiny stuff. We shall thank him with a pebble to the head.
- For some reason he might still be able to push you into the swamp even if you knock him off. In that case simply walk left and you will soon arrive in the great swamp, where turning right will get you out to the next area.
The next step is to collect the gift Patches has prepared for us: a Coldblood Flowerbud. Thanks again! Next, climb up the ramp on the left to pick up 2 blood vials and a scurrying beast, but do not drop down from there; rather, turn back and enter the tunnel where you can see a yeti standing near a ledge, who would be terrorizing you should you have walked into the swamp from the beginning. After dealing with him, turn right and go down, picking up 2 more blood vials on the way. We will now have to drop down into the swamp, but we are almost there. Make sure to equip Antidotes as the swamp inflicts slow poison on you. After picking up a Great One's Wisdom and killing the 2 Parasitic Leach guarding it, exit the tunnel (turn left) into the great swamp and walk towards your right. You will soon see a blue lantern and a yeti next to it: there is the exit.
Once there, make sure you have your health healed to full. We will come across a Brain Trust who will subject you to frenzy build up on sight. Kill it as fast as possible, but avoid getting grabbed, which spells certain death. If you have any Sedatives make sure to have them on hand. If your frenzy gets too high back off and then use them, it'll reduce your frenzy build-up allowing you to score some hits. Be careful around this enemy as even when retreating your frenzy will continue to build as long as the Brain Trust can see you. If the effect reaches the top, expect your head to literally pop off. You can also just run straight past it, as it is alone, however your frenzy will continue to rise as long as it can see you, so you'll have to run a fair distance down the hill before you're in the clear.
Running past the brain trust is also an option, but since there is a large scurrying beast hidden nearby, killing it is recommended. The large scurrying beast is found by standing at the brain trust's initial location, turning back to where you came from, and look to the lower area on the right. This scurrying beast is especially valuable since it drops 2 bloodstone chunks instead of twin bloodstone shards like other large scurrying beasts do.
Over the jellyfish's corpse we arrive in another large area, with more poison swamp on the right. There are a few coldblood consumables and a Caryll rune hidden within the swamp, but before we do that we need to first activate the shortcut mentioned earlier. Go straight ahead, avoid dropping into swamps with fallen stone pillars along the way. Do not turn left onto the bridge where a large building can be seen on the other side yet; that's the boss arena. Keep going straight and we soon come across the last silverbeast we need to fight, patrolling a flight of stairs which leads to the elevator shaft. We can now transit from the lamp directly to the boss arena.
See Amygdala's page for details.
[Obtaining the messenger's gift]
To obtain messenger's gift, we return to the start of the map, to the ledge where the second silverbeast (and a large scurrying beast beside it) is found. Before we venture further, we need to first put on some antidotes, a bold hunter's mark and sedatives (if you have any to spare) on the quick slot. Drop down into the swamp from there, and continue advancing forward. You would soon encounter a small scurrying beast followed by a brood of 4 scurrying beasts (1 large and 3 small, small ones drop 2 blood stone shards and large one drops 3 twin blood stone shards) in the swamp. It is unlikely that you would kill all of them since they flee in different directions, but you could retry several times to take them out one by one if you wish. For the messenger's gift, continue forward and enter a tunnel scattered with large luminous flowers. Take the path to the right and you would soon encounter a brain trust, who is especially dangerous since you would be subject to poison by now unless you were spamming antidotes, and its frenzy would kill anyone who isn't at full health. It would be a good idea to simply run past it, since it is slow and the messenger's gift is nigh. We soon reach the end of the tunnel, where the messenger's gift can be found. Grab it and quickly use bold hunter's mark to return to safety.
It is greatly helpful to stack up on frenzy (and slow poison, if possible) resistance. Equip the deep sea rune and the highest frenzy resistant attire before you go. Alternatively if you don't have echoes to lose, a suicide run would also be an option.
*Note: this walkthrough does not elaborate on every piece of item and scurrying beast. Please do not assume there is no item in the area if it is not mentioned in the text.