Hypogean Gaol is a location in Bloodborne, a subsection of Yahar'gul that can be accessed before the main quest takes the Hunter there. The lamp to this location becomes unavailable after the player advances past Rom, the Vacuous Spider, although the area will be accessible once again later in the night.
To reach Hypogean Gaol you must be killed by a Snatcher (the snatcher has to score the kill. simply dying near one doesn't work). These enemies start to appear after you defeat the boss Blood-Starved Beast. If they kill you, you will get a short cutscene and wake up in a prison. If you leave your cage and ascend the stairs, you will reach the lamp of Hypogean Gaol.
- The first lamp is found at the top of the spiral staircase to the left of the area in which you spawn. Quite a few strong enemies reside inside the Unseen Village, so it may be helpful to light this Lamp and come back when you are stronger. (After you defeat Rom, this lamp will become unavailable from the Hunter's Dream)
- Adella, The Nun
- Found down the stair case outside of the cell where you spawn, hiding behind vases.
- Darkbeast Paarl- Found after ascending the spiral staircase nearby the cell you spawn in half way.
- Yahar'gul set
- Twin Blood Stone Shard
- Madman's Knowledge
- Frenzied ColdBlood
- Bolt Paper
- Bloodshot Eyeball (Hunchback drop)
- Blood stone shard (Snatcher drop)
- Note by the spawn point cell Reads: "Madmen toil surreptitiously in rituals to beckon the moon. Uncover their secrets."
- Note by first Lamp Reads: "Nightmarish rituals crave a newborn. Find one, and silence its harrowing cry."
- Note by the stairs leading to Yahar Gul Set Reads: "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"
(needs links to enemies page, as well as in-depth information)
- 2x Scurrying Beast (Loot Enemy)
- Hunchbacks (Can grab you from behind and stab you repeatedly)
- Boar (outside building where you spawn/find Lamp)
- Hunter Mob
- Tainted Dog
- Changes with Timezones: After defeating Rom, the Vacuous Spider and the Blood Moon Phase begins, the area becomes inaccessible until later, and is renamed to Yahar'gul, Unseen Village.
- Insight Gained:
After defeating the Blood Starved Beast and dying of a Snatcher (large man in a cloak holding a sack of his shoulder, found in central ward), you will awaken to a small cut-scene ending with you standing alone in an unlocked cell. To the right of cell lies an a staircase leading to a dead end room containing the Praying/hidden Woman. To the left of the cell, is a small staircase with four accessible floors. It is recommended that the player sprint to the fourth floor of this staircase and light the lamp before attempting anything else, as the Snatchers are capable of one-shotting most players at this point.
The Spiral Staircase:
The Lamp (Hypogean Gaol on the Unseen Tombstone)
The lamp rests at the top of the spiral staircase, and will act as the center point to this area. Upon first using the lamp, only the chapel is available, but there are doors on both sides of the Lamp that can be opened from outside, providing a faster route through the area.
Floor 2 (From the bottom, accessed through a doorway upon the staircases landing, Direct Route to Paarl)
The doorway on the second landing of the spiral staircase leads to a small room in which an enemy is seen sprinting across the doorway. This enemy is a trick, as a second enemy lies in wait to the right of the doorway BEWARE, letting either enemy sneak up behind you will result in a drawn out death animation, in which one enemy cuts your throat and the other beats on you. In this room a door cannot be opened, but can later be accessed from outside the Chapel. After disposing of these two enemies, the player can progress into the room and deal with the corpses on the floor, which can be easily dealt with in three or four hits, proving very little of a challenge. Be careful, however, to not enter the doorways in the back left and right of the room, as behind these doorways two very strong enemies that can one hit lower level characters lie beyond them. Past the gates are two Snatchers standing at a table. Upon defeating these enemies or choosing to move forward, The player will have to drop down a ledge and engage the boss of the area, Darkbeast Paarl.
Floor 3, The surface
The ground floor of the area you spawn in has two Snatchers patrolling the floor of the cathedral you are in, and one small enemy behind a pillar on the right. Upon leaving the cathedral, the player will be presented with what appears to be the ground level of Hypogean Gaol. To the immediate right there is a path leading down to the door to the room leading to Paarl, as well as a Snatcher and two demonic dogs. To the right, down a giant staircase, a boar lies in wait. His gore attack does tons of damage and his breath attack inflicts Slow Poison but the boar is an otherwise easy fight. The best tactic is to get behind the boar, use a charge R2 attack then go in for the Visceral Hit, which will deal huge amounts of damage. Behind the staircase the boar hides upon, the player will encounter three dogs and quite a bit of loot upon defeating the dogs. The player can find 3 Madman's Knowledge on corpses praying at a currently unmanageable door, the Yahar'gul Set on a coach driver, and a Frenzied Coldblood. The player can now turn around and venture to the left of the chapel entrance.
Note: Killing Darkbeast Paarl will open a door to lower Old Yharnam.
- Walk-through completion to second lamp post (I'm focusing on items and lore, as well as any secrets I can find, so if someone can post a runthrough of regular enemies up until the second lamp of the area, that would be appreciated for walk-through purposes.
- Just needs to be un-interrupted video fighting regular enemies in a progress route bringing you to the second lamp. Please cut off any deaths for purposes of keeping it short.
- The word 'gaol' is Old English for 'jail'. The former is pronounced exactly the same as the latter.
- The word 'hypogean' is Greek for underground.
- Thus, 'Hypogean Gaol' can be roughly translated to mean 'underground jail'.
- The soundtrack played here is "Hail The Nightmare", which is exclusive for this area before the Red Moon.
Image of the first lamp in Yahar'gul, with a statue of an Amygdala. On the right is a piece of paper containing lore.
Pater do si donas.
Argentum aquae in tenebris.
Redemptio risa se
Exciet exciet. Flebatur a salis.
In tenebris aquae.
Et argentum aquae.
Et argentum aquae.