Blood-Starved Beast (血に渇いた獣 Chi ni kawaita kemono lit. "Blood-thirsty Beast"), also known as the Thirsty Beast, is an optional boss in Bloodborne. This malformed beast has had all of the skin peeled off its back, making for a truly gruesome sight. Capable of extremely quick and agile attacks, this erratic and unpredictable enemy is a truly formidable foe, whether you choose to face it alone or with other Hunters at your side.
- You can summon Alfred for this fight if you have the Old Hunter Bell. As you descend towards the chapel on the first staircase his summon sign will be on the right.
- This boss fight is optional, but it is necessary if you wish to do any of the Pthumeru Chalices, Hintertomb Chalices or accessing Hypogean Gaol for befriending Djura.
- Old Yharnam in a ruined church at the bottom of the area.
- Hintertomb Chalice (Final Boss)
- Ailing Loran Chalice (Layer 2 Boss)
- Hunter's Nightmare (DLC), in a cave with the Gatling Gun hunter
- Blood Echoes: NG (6,600), NG+ (62,747), NG++ (69,021), NG+3 (78,433), NG+6 and so on (156,866)
- Pthumeru Chalice
- Lower Hintertomb Chalice (when fought in Hintertomb Chalice)
- Ailing Loran Root Chalice (when fought in Ailing Loran Chalice)
- Gain 1 Insight for finding the boss and 3 Insight for killing it.
- Weak to Fire Damage.
- Strong against Arcane and Bolt damage.
- For the fight make sure you have several Antidotes on your quick slot. (If you're out of antidotes, there are 3 in the back of the altar in the boss room )
- In all three stages, the Blood-starved Beast can be parried.
- Blood-starved Beast is classified as a beast so anything that increases damage vs. Beasts will increase damage against it.
- All of the Blood-starved Beast's attacks are focused in front of her and she has no side attacks. Staying to her side/behind will always produce an opening.
- In its second and third phase, the Blood-starved Beast tends to attack in a succession of 5 or 6 swipes. These swipes have bad tracking and the boss will continue attacking in the general direction even if the hunter dodges behind it. Take advantage of this and retaliate while it whiffs.
- The Blood-starved Beast is susceptible to Pungent Blood Cocktail, which will distract it for a short time, leaving it open to attacks.
- Using the Black Church Set is a good idea as it has a good deal of Slow Poison RES.
- The Yharnam Hunter Set and Gascoigne's Set both provide high Slow Poison RES and are available before the Blood Starved Beast.
The Blood-starved Beast has three phases that is signified when it stops and roars:
- Phase I: 100% hp - The boss is slow-moving and has very limited attack combos.
- Phase II: 66% hp - In addition to normal move set, it gains a couple attack combos and will now dodge away after each of its attacks, allowing one or two attacks before it moves. Its hits now build up Slow Poison.
- Phase III: 33% hp - In addition to the previous move set, it gains a couple of attack combos and becomes more aggressive with its attacks. Slow Poison liquid now spouts from the beast's body during its attacks.
Antidote and ~4-5 Blood Vials, level doesn't matter for this method). The requirement for this method is to have a Flamesprayer, which you can acquire from Gilbert after entering the citadel. You will also need 16 Blood Stone Shards (if possible) to upgrade it to +3, increasing the efficiency greatly.
The Blood-starved Beast is very weak to fire in all three stages. Use the Flamesprayer whenever he's in range (you can experiment with the ranges before going to him) to ramp up the multiplier. Whenever you see that he wants to move on to the next stage, rush him and keep spraying. He is immobile in that time which allows you to build up a multiplier (see Flamesprayer page for details). As a result the beast is taking tons of damage, and your job is to simply dodge the three attacks he can do when taking tons of damage (the claw rush, the grab and the claw attack), which are his main 3 attacks anyway. What's more important is that using the sprayer does not consume stamina, and does not force you to be immobile, meaning dodging his fast attacks is less of a problem.
Overall this method is very safe compared to the parry method (which simply involves parrying all of his attacks) and is relatively low on resource use. If you run out of bullets, you can press up on the d-pad to get 5 more (at the price of a bit of health).
Alfred. He will aggro the beast most of the time, giving you a chance to stay at the back and try and use charge up attacks. Alfred uses the Kirkhammer and hits very hard, however, his aggression can get him killed so you can't let him tank the beast on his own. He will hold the attention of the beast quite well allowing you to get behind and score some charged up R2 attacks. Time it right and you can even score a Visceral Attack on the beast. Get the beast's attention on you throughout the fight to allow Alfred to heal himself up.
Ludwig's Holy blade and was only doing around 500 damage in greatsword mode and in the grand scheme of things that is very little damage. One of ways you can beat him while parrying however I suggest things like the Formless Odeon rune which increases maximum bullets along with Odeon Writhe which restores bullets with each visceral attack. In this method you are going to want to be very precise and you should also use the blood bullets. Melee Method- For this you will need some sort of buff Fire paper works best but i used arcane, you will also need a high damage weapon that has long reach or quick slashes. You will need to learn his attacks so you can dodge them effectively (Use chart above) but during his final stage try some parries because they have the potential to do some really good damage.
Strategy 6 (Hintertomb Chalice)
As we all know, the Blood-Starved Beast tends to be a troublesome and tense, yet annoying boss.
However, due to the round arena, the fight can get pretty trivial.
Equip the following:
Treaded Cane +9, 10 Molotov Cocktails and 10 Firepapers.
At the beginning of the fight, lock on onto the Beast and circle the room, facing the creature. It shouldn't attack you.
First of, you throw your 10 Molotov Cocktails at it, all while keeping distance.
After you spend your Cocktails, switch to the second weapon mode of the Treaded Cane, don't forget to imbue it with fire.
Now its just up to you and your reflexes. Try to work with the corners of the room, it may get stuck in there for a few seconds, which can lead to some good hits. Just remember: The more its health depletes, the more aggressive and faster it gets!
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Claw Swipe||Swipes hand across body. Be wary of charging in after the first swipe, as additional attacks may follow if the player remains close. Can be parried.|
|Lunging Swipe||Lunges forward while swiping claws. Be wary of its' speed and the distance it covers. Avoid this attack by dodging to the side. Can't be parried.|
|Lunging Grab||The beast lunges at and grabs the player before biting them. Inflicts Slow Poison. Before executing this attack, the Blood-Starved Beast will momentarily pause. When this happens, prepare to dodge.|
|Rapid Slashes||Extended string of rapid slashing attacks. Each successive slash carries the creature forward. Avoid this attack by dodging to the side. Can be parried.|
|Poison Explosion||After rearing back a cloud of poison shoots out of the beasts' body. A high damage attack with a moderate area of effect. May inflict Slow Poison. Although a risky proposition, opportunistic hunters can get in some free hits while the creature prepares for this attack.|
- In the church after Djura in Old Yharnam, there is a crucified Blood-Starved Beast hanging in the center of the room.
- The Beast Patients beneath this corpse have formed a circle around her and they are chanting.
- On the altar several gold embossments depict The Moon Presence. It is of course concealed and you'll have to look closely.
- The limbs of Blood-starved Beast very much resemble the tails of The Moon Presence.
- When she perform her "poison explosion" she can mimic the form of Manus' horns with her flaps.
- In the encounter in Old Yharnam, it is possible for the Blood-Starved Beast to become stuck in the wall above the alcove behind the altar. If hit with a high-reaching weapon (tested with the Hunter Axe), the Beast can be defeated by effectively forcing it underneath the world.
- Lore theories exist under Blood-Starved Beast & Old Yharnam Lore.