The Brainsucker mob has 2 variants - hooded and without a hood. The differences are only cosmetic though, as both variants have the same attacks and spells. (Have only seen hooded casts spells in isz and ihyll root chalice dungeons). The hooded version's hood will come off when they use their Insight-draining grab attack.
- Upper Cathedral Ward
- Streets below the Healing Church Workshop
- Cathedral Ward near the entrance to Forbidden Woods
- Iosefka's Clinic, near the ladder the leads to the back-door entrance
- Great Isz Chalice
- Brainsucker possesses extreme Blunt resistance, but is highly vulnerable to Thrust, Bolt and Fire.
- The moveset of this enemy is the same for both the standard version and the Chalice Dungen Boss version. The Boss version however has more HP.
- By its namesake, the Brainsucker has a unique grab attack which upon landing, allows it to suck on its victim's brain with a large tentacle by driving it directly into their head. It will then drain 2 Insight from them, inflicting high damage in the process.
- The Insight drained is lost permanently, even if the Brainsucker is killed afterwards.
- Mashing R2/L2/R1/L1 allows the player to break free of the grab faster. They will however still lose at least one Insight and receive roughly half the grab's full Damage.
- The Brainsucker also uses a binding attack that snares its victim in place, to be savaged by other enemies or the Brainsucker itself. There are 2 versions of the binding attack: long range single targeted projectile, or short range AoE.
- The Brainsucker also utilizes physical attacks, all of which can be parried.
- The Brainsucker is staggered as easily as other human sized enemies, and thus can be stunlocked like the rest.
- Note that the brainsucker is immune to being staggered and interrupted while it telegraphs its grab attack. Always be ready to take evasive actions.
- Dodge the binding attacks and get close to begin a combo, stopping right before you use the last bit of stamina. Dodge back or to the side with that sliver of stamina quickly after your assault and keep your distance while you recover stamina and continue dodging its bindings and physical attacks.
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
|Arcane Prison Flare||Releases a trio of moderately quick Arcane Flares that imprison you and allow it to close the gap and suck out 2 Insight and cause massive damage. Mash R1/R2/L1/L2 to escape early and limit the insight drain to 1.|
|Roar + Grab||Emits a roar while raising its arms and then does a grab after about 2 seconds|
|Arcane AoE||Slams its hand down and creates a small AoE of Arcane Prison Flares around itself. Very short range. Usually used when the player is within striking distance.|
|Charge + Grab||Suddenly charges in your direction and goes for a grab when in range|
|Flail Combo||Rapidly attacks in a surprisingly quick and powerful melee combo. There is little warning for this attack and it is hard to interrupt.|
Brainsuckers are possibly the most infuriating enemies as they can spam you extremely quickly and drain your precious insight. Always try to sneak behind them for a charged attack but it should be noted that, unlike most enemies, as soon as you get within striking distance, they will sense your presence and turn around even when walking slowly to sneak behind. Their AOE and ranged stun attacks are very difficult to dodge and after each brain sucking attack (which puts you on the floor) they will immediately repeat and it will often grab you again before you have the chance to get up or dodge.
If you have a secondary weapon upgraded a bit, equip Kin Hunter gems into it (can be obtained from beasts made of corpses that replace the pigs after defeating Rom, in Yahar'gul Unseen Village in the outside area.) As soon as you come into the vicinity of a brainsucker (assuming you do not have the chance to sneak attack) run towards it and prepare to dodge left/right for its ranged stun attack. Alternatively a safer method is to stun it with a pistol, walk a bit closer, stun again and repeat until you are close range. When you are in striking distance, spam R1 keeping it stun locked and when stamina is expended, immediately dodge back once or twice then left/right (by second or possibly first backwards dodge it will use it's ranged attack) and immediately after it attacks use pistol to inch closer and repeat. You'll want a fast weapon as it attacks quickly once it recovers from being stunned.
If it grabs you spam R1 and L1 on the controller and be very cautious when trying to recover. It is not recommended to attack directly after getting up as there is an insanely small window to did anything before it attacks again. It has resistance to blunt and arcane, but is extremely weak to thrust, bolt, and fire.
- Resembles the mindflayer, a creature from Dungeons & Dragons that kills by wrapping the tentacles adorning its mouth around the victim's head and draining their psychic life-force.
- Madman Set loosely resembles the the robes worn by these twisted creatures, it is possible the Brainsuckers are the eventual result of Forgotten Madmen succumbed by the desire for more insight.
- They carry a strange amulet.