Cleric Beast (聖職者の獣 Seishoku-sha no kemono lit. "Cleric Beast") is a Boss in Bloodborne. While optional, it's likely the first boss that most new players encounter.
- The Cleric Beast is an enormous creature with disfigured horns. With high agility and superhuman strength, this boss should not be taken lightly.
- This creature owes its name to a rumor which states that members of the Healing Church would eventually transform into the most hideous beasts.
- You can summon Father Gascoigne to help you fight the Cleric Beast (you must have the Old Hunter Bell). He can be summoned near the fountain where you encounter the first Brick Troll in Yharnam. The advantage to summoning Father Gascoigne is that he can help you fight the enemies that guard the Great Bridge. The disadvantage is that he may get hurt before the boss fight against the Cleric Beast.
- It's your choice when to summon him, but people who have issues reaching the boss may want to consider summoning him before fighting the enemies on the Great Bridge.
- The Cleric Beast is an optional boss fight, but is necessary to beat if you wish to acquire the Sword Hunter Badge.
- You gain 1 Insight for finding the boss and 3 Insight for killing it.
- Central Yharnam at the far end of the great bridge. You will have to fight several enemies to reach it, including a pair of Wolf Beasts; Carrion Crows; and a Brick Troll. It's possible to avoid fighting the Wolf Beasts if you take a shortcut from one of the houses.
- Blood Echoes: NG (4,000), NG+ (61,812), NG++ (67,994), NG+3 (77,265), NG+5 (92,718), NG+6 (154,530), NG+7 (265,173).
- Sword Hunter Badge.
- The Cleric Beast is vulnerable to Serration and Fire damage, and can be crippled in the fight for a short time.
- However, it's considerably strong against Blunt, Arcane and Bolt damage.
- Always try to dodge and stay behind him, since his counterattack swipe with his left arm does minimal damage that can easily be recovered via the Rally mechanic.
- Attacking any of its limbs repeatedly will eventually cripple and stagger the Cleric Beast for a short while.
- After a certain amount of damage is dealt, it will start doing its healing animation with the red aura. This will heal all of its crippled limbs and will enrage it further. It will not, however, heal back any of its health.
- You can shoot his head with a firearm to open him up for a visceral attack, which will cause massive damage. When using the Hunter Pistol it takes two direct hits usually (on NG). On the flip side, the Hunter Blunderbuss takes three normally (also on NG). At extremely close range, only one is sometimes needed (NG).
- If you have successfully pulled off a Visceral Attack by shooting its head, you can do it again only after it uses its healing move to regenerate limbs.
- Molotov Cocktails are extremely effective in this fight. They usually hit for around 250 damage since they deal fire damage.
- Don't forget to use Oil Urns to further increase the damage. You'll find a small handful near the fountain where you can summon Father Gascoigne; it's guarded by a group of Carrion Crows. However, keep in the mind the Cleric Beast's agility; it can easily jump and dodge both items if you carelessly throw at it.
- If you summoned Father Gascoigne into the fight with you, the Cleric Beast will largely ignore you; Father Gascoigne is so aggressive, he'll just stand in front of the beast and attack wildly. He doesn't do a great amount of damage with each hit, but it leaves you relatively unhindered to get behind the boss and break its legs. Furthermore, like his boss fight encounter, Father Gascoigne will transform his axe to extend it when his health is low, allowing him to hit the Cleric Beast from a longer distance while still being able to use his unique firearm.
- Father Gascoigne does not fill a summon slot. If he is summoned first, it is still possible to summon two players, allowing you to tackle this boss with a four-man team.
- If you have already killed Blood Starved Beast in Old Yarhnam , you can summon Alfred for this fight. You can take a stairs from Central Yarhnam lamp , kill the Huntsman & you will find messagers ringing bell before entering the dark room which is short to Cleric Beast.
|Attack Name||Attack Counter|
|Grab||This enemy has a grab that can be deadly, if you see its left arm swing forward in a grappling motion, get out of the way.|
|4-hit combo||Wait away from the boss until the last hit slams the floor to safely counter.|
|Forward Leap||Roll INTO the leap to avoid taking damage.|
|Forward Slam||Stay away to avoid, or roll forward to avoid taking damage.|
- The Cleric Beast's design appears to be inspired by the legend of a supernatural creature known as a "wendigo."
- The legend of the wendigo states that it grew in size depending on how many humans it had eaten. Since Brador wears the skin of a Cleric Beast, yet it's small enough for Brador to comfortably wear as clothing, that might mean that Cleric Beasts start off small at first. Even more chilling, if this is true, that means this particular Cleric Beast you fight on the Great Bridge has eaten many humans and thus grew to an enormous size.
- Its horns, which are very misshapen, are a trademark of this particular creature.
- The music score of the Cleric Beast fight is the same as the one used for the "Project Beast" trailer, albeit with minor modifications.
- At the beginning of the game, when you climb the ladder that leads to Gilbert, you hear an unknown creature screeching loudly throughout the city. This is a foreshadow to new players, warning them of terrible things that lurk in the city. In this case, the loud screech belongs to the Cleric Beast, who continues to screech loudly while it tries to kill you.
- In the Bloodborne trailer, "Face Your Fears," the Hunter is crushed by the hand of a creature that looks similar to the Cleric Beast.
- The Cleric Beast shares similar characteristics to Manus, Father of the Abyss from Dark Souls; they both have red eyes on their horns and their left arm is larger than their right.
- The fur on his legs looks unusually like fungus and there are nails jammed into his legs.