Darkbeast Paarl (黒獣パール Kokujū Pāru lit. "Black Beast Paarl" ) is a Boss in Bloodborne. A malformed beast enveloped in blue lightning. With a long body made of only bones, and a wrinkle-covered skull, people say this beast must be very old, very ancient. Or perhaps, it is a descendant of the city of the plague of beasts.
- Henryk's Hunter Set is highly effective against Paarl, as it has extremely high Bolt resistance.
- Entering the Darkbeast Paarl boss room and gaining 1 Insight causes Djura to become friendly and you can peacefully talk with him on the tower. It seems that it doesn't matter if you have engaged him before or killed his partner on the ground. The only thing that matters is that you don't get spotted by him while getting into the location from this entrance before you ascend the ladder.
- After Paarl's defeat, a shortcut to Old Yharnam is made available.
- During the boss fight, one may perform a special attack on the beast's head by knocking it down and performing a regular attack to the downed head. This will result in a visceral attack which will take about a third of its health.
- In Hypogean Gaol, from the lantern, go down into the spiral stairs and enter the first prison room with two Witches and Snatchers. At the end of the room there is a hole that leads outside where you drop down a ledge and fight the boss. (Same location in Yahar'gul, only difference is the enemies encountered).
- Blood Echoes NG (21,000), NG+ (125,559), NG+6 (313,898)
[Video shows 538,648 echoes at NG+9 due to 3 stacked Moon runes causing a 1.716 echo multiplier]
- Spark Hunter Badge
- Bold Hunter's Mark if badge already obtained
- Lower Ailing Loran Root Chalice (when fought in Lower Loran Chalice)
- Gain 1 Insight for finding the boss and 3 Insight for killing it.
- Weak to Arcane and Fire Damage. It can also be knocked over with R2 charged attacks aimed at the center (such as the Axe)
- Strong against Blunt and Bolt damage.
- Slow and steady wins the race. Watch out for his swipes, usually 2-3 (left, right, or left, right, downward) then go for a hit. Run away, rinse/repeat.
- Instead of backing up from him to avoid his AoE, unlock the camera and attempt to roll through it. You will have a good 2-second window to land free hits on him after that.
- Look for windows to launch a strong attack. Several of these plus well-timed small hits could make short work of the boss.
- After approximately 1 minute of fight, boss will infuse himself with more electricity. This moment can be clearly seen: boss will stand at two legs and howl when starting to glow more intensively. At this stage, his pattern will become more aggresive, swipes will be faster and gain additional range — electric bolts will flow out of beast's claws with each strike.
- Beating this encounter with locked-on camera can be tough, because it may go haywire due to Paarl's speed and chaotic moves. Consider using unlocked camera and rolling in his swipes (making use of invincibility frames), straight under his belly.
- Each of Paarl's leg have its own healthbar, which doesn't have visible indicator. It is possible to knock him down multiple times in a row if you manage to attack different legs simultaneously. Also, his skull can "break" too. It won't knock him down, but will stagger him for a solid 3-5 seconds and discharge his electric field.
- After losing his electric field, Paarl will try to attack you 1 or 2 times, and then escape to safety and infuse himself with electricity. If you constantly chase him, he won't be able to recharge. A wise hunter can make some use of this weakness.
- In NG+, Paarl recovers both electrical charges much more rapidly with the second stage almost immediately after the first.
- You can summon Defector Antal to assist you in the fight. His summon is to the right after you drop down the ledge to Paarl's arena.
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Claw Swipes||Paarl swipes his claws up to three times in succession. This attack does moderate damage, but is fast. When Paarl's power is fully charged, it also unleashes 3 balls of electricity that travel in a straight line.|
|Leap Swipe||Paarl can leap toward a distant hunter as he swipes at them. His leap covers a lot of distance, so always try to dodge it.|
|Slam||Paarl slams his claw, and then emits a blast. Paarl can use this attack in combination with his swipe attacks.|
|Electric Nova||After channeling for a few seconds, Paarl unleashes a nova around him that does high damage. If the hunter manages to stagger him during the channel, Paarl will fall down and become completely vulnerable for a few seconds. This will also cause his attacks to be no longer infused with electricity until he recharges (which he tends to do as soon as possible). Standing behind his tail will prevent any damage from this attack.|
|Electric Breath||After a short channel, Paarl damages everything near his head .If not in vicinity of his head, the hunter can safely go in for a few hits. Pay attention to which part of Paarl's body is glowing to tell whether he is doing a nova or a breathe. If his chest glows, he is preparing for a nova; if his head glows, he is about to breathe.|
As with most enemies, dousing Paarl with an Oil Urn followed by hitting him with a Molotov Cocktail will cause massive damage. Additionally, the hits will sometimes knock Paarl off balance and dissipate Paarl's electric charge. While he's off balance, the Hunter can charge in and attack his legs, furthering the stun and causing Paarl's legs to give out altogether. Once Paarl gets up he will try to gain distance to restore his Bolt aura, allowing an easy re-use of the combo and further stunlock until Paarl is dead. (You can save quit out of the fight to reload on the safe side of the fog gate and you can aim with the Monocular and throw Oil Urns and Molotovs until you are out. On ng you can take out more than half of it's health before even stepping foot into the fight.)
This is an easy and effective strategy. Using this I beat the boss on my first try. When you start the fight rush in and get under him as fast as you can. Stay locked on and keep attacking with a 2 handed Hunter's Axe. Spin attacks are efficient but should be used carefully. With any luck you can cut one of his legs and stun him. Then just keep spamming attacks until he gets back up. Rinse and repeat. If he does his AOE attack try dashing into the bottom of his head (into the bottom of his jaw) as soon as he's about to blast it. Make sure you attempt this from under him. By doing this you don't take any damage! Further testing may be required, but this technique had me kill him in less than a minute with a +6 hunters Axe (26 strength, 18 skill). Good luck!
Make sure you are stocked up blood vials, Quicksilver bullets (for Phantasm Shell) or Fire Paper, a weapon you can use it with ( Threaded Cane +6), and armor with high bolt resistance.
The key here is to do some dry runs to get his move-set down. Paarl is very much an offensive boss so you will just have to wait for your opportunities.
1. It's recommended getting your Fire Paper or Phantasm Shell off as soon as you get in the arena as Paarl roars. Then sprinting off to left and getting ready to dodge.
2. You should be close enough now to lock on and be ready to dodge since he usually does his swipe attack first. There are two ways to dodge this attack. You can either be far enough away from it or close enough to his body. Getting close will give you an opportunity to attack (but he will go for an AOE bolt attack so get out quick).
3. Your goal is to get enough damage on him to knock his charge off of him and stun him. This will give you a chance to do a visceral attack on him from the front. The window on this is very short so be careful. It's worth it though as it does massive damage.
4. Don't feel bad if you spend most of the fight dodging his moves and healing. Just make sure you can get a few hits in by dodging in front of his swipe attack and getting behind him.
You're going to have to learn to be offensive 90% of the time, make sure you have a +6 weapon. Now as soon as the fight starts run to one of his front legs and hit it (unless he's about to do a AoE then run away), now dodge his attacks and hit his legs, do this and he'll fall once then go to his face and introduce your fist to his skull. Repeat the following until your victory (if your on NG you'll only have to do this once and win).
- Archibald was fond of the sparks emitted from the Darkbeast, and so he created Tonitrus and Bolt Paper to replicate the sparks.
- Paarl is Afrikaans for "pearl", paarl is based on the Dutch word for pearl, "parel".
- If you've fought him at least once before you can find Paarl poised, looking at the nightmare gate like a cat ready to pounce. Paarl is also wagging his tail and making growling noises that sound a lot like that of a lion.
- While casting his electric explosion Paarl curves his long neck all the way down then swings it back across his back. The animation is so dramatic that it would cause whiplash in any real living animal.
- The Burial Blade can trivialise this battle due to it's incredibly long reach and top tier rally potential, when hit skirt through him and unleash a flurry of transformed swings to simply recover your health