Gilbert is a non-player character in Bloodborne. You first meet him in Central Yharnam after ascending the ladder that lowers after pulling the lever. He is located just behind the first Lamp you will find. To speak with him you must approach the window there and press "X".
- Gives Flamesprayer as a gift after killing Father Gascoigne. You have to talk to him before beating Amelia and starting night, as well as after visiting Cathedral Ward at least once. If you don´t obtain it from Gilbert, you can buy it from the Shop after obtaining the Radiant Sword Hunter Badge.
- After the moon turns orange (upon killing Rom, the Vacuous Spider), you will find him as a hostile Old Yharnam Beast near his window, drops Clawmark Rune if killed.
- Gilbert is found in Lamp. , right in front of the
"Oh you must be a Hunter, and not one from around here either. I'm Gilbert, a fellow outsider. You must have had a fine time of it. Yarnham has a special way of treating guests. I don't think I can stand if I wanted to, but I'm willing to help, if there's anything that can be done (coughs). This town is cursed. Whatever your reasons might be you should plan a swift exit. Whatever can be gained from this place, it will do more harm than good."
"Paleblood, you say? Hmm... Never heard of it. But if it's blood you're interested in, you should try the Healing Church. The church controls all knowledge on blood ministration, and all varieties of blood. Across the valley to the East of Yharnam lies the town of the Healing Church, known as the Cathedral Ward. And deep within the Cathedral Ward is the old grand cathedral. ...the birthplace of the Healing Church's special blood, or so they say. *coughs* Yharnamites don't share much with outsiders. Normally, they wouldn't let you near this place, but... The hunt is on tonight. This might be your chance..."
"Yes, I see... But the great bridge is the only way to the Cathedral Ward. And during the hunt, the bridge is closed... Hmm... You could try the aqueduct? There's a rather, how shall I put it, colorful area south of the great bridge. From there, an aqueduct leads to the Cathedral Ward. *coughs* Not a place you'd normally want to visit, but... I don't imagine you have much of a choice. Do you?"
" *coughing* An aqueduct leads from the town, south of the main bridge to the Cathedral Ward. Not a place you'd normally choose to visit, but... Not much of a choice, with the bride closed.*heavy coughing*"
Ahh, you needn’t concern yourself with me. I’m afraid I’m of little help now. But before I… Take this…(he gives you the Flamesprayer) I made no use of it, but perhaps you… What inflicted me was incurable, but this town gave me hope… Their strange blood bought me time. I was most fortunate. Unharmed by the plague of beasts, I can even die human. *coughing* "
- Upon meeting Gilbert one will notice his odd cough. It is apparent he is sick. He will help the hunter with pieces of information and a weapon until he eventually turns into a beast and becomes hostile.
- Gilbert describes himself as a "fellow outsider" to the player hunter. This suggests that he traveled from another land to Yharnam, in hopes of finding a cure for his incurable ailment. According to him, the "strange blood" bought him time but his incurable disease is slowly taking it's toll on him.
- From the description of the Flame Sprayer, which is given to the player hunter by Gilbert throughout his quest line, we can assume that Gilbert once worked for the Healing Church as a hunter or huntsman
- Gilbert may have been one of the hunters that burned Old Yharnam to the ground since he gives the player hunter the Flame Sprayer. During the blood moon phase that occurs after killing Rom, Gilbert transforms into a beast similar to the beasts that plague Old Yharnam and the Loran Chalice dungeon. From the description of the Antidote found all over Old Yharnam, the antidote counteracts poison offering short-term relief from the Ashen Blood disease that ravaged Old Yharnam long ago. Ashen blood is similar to poison and the antidote is used by hunters in an attempt to combat the ailment; all beasts from Old Yharnam are capable of poisoning. It is speculated that Gilbert caught this incurable Ashen Blood ailment during the burning of Old Yharnam. This would explain why he transforms into a beast similar to the beasts located in Old Yharnam.
- His mention of even being able to die human is reminiscent of dialogue from Anastacia of Astora in Dark Souls, possibly a reference.
- If you fight (or just hit the wall) near his window, he will never speak to you.