Patches the Spider is a recurring non-player character in the Souls games (called Patches the Hyena and Trusty Patches in previous games), who makes an appearance as a Nightmare Apostle in Bloodborne. He is voiced by William Vanderpuye, who also voiced Lautrec of Carim in Dark Souls as well as the Male Aged player voice in Bloodborne.
Patches the Spider, like all his Souls counterparts, is an NPC that promises the player character some form of treasure, only to betray them and put them in extreme peril. Once the Hunter escapes that peril (or dies), and confronts Patches, he will beg for forgiveness, and become a merchant.
" Remember: no matter the circumstances, there will always be people willing to push you down a hole."
- Patches can be first discovered after defeating Vicar Amelia and having entered the Forbidden Woods at least once. He will replace the regular inhabitant of any of the red-lantern windows in the Frontier or Yharnam. The quickest method to meet him is to simply use the Central Yharnam lampstand and speak at the window several paces away (if, however, you wish to meet this NPC for the first time after defeating Rom, seek the window formerly containting Young Yharnam Girl or the area beneath Healing Church Workshop in Cathedral Ward, which contains the only inhabitant who stays alive even after the Blood Moon appeared). Meeting him will prompt him to offer you the Tonsil stone, which unlocks the Lecture Hall, 1F if the Hunter allows themselves to be grabbed by the Lesser Amygdala above the door to Yahar'gul, the Unseen Village. Speaking to Patches again will get him to repeat his suggestion that you go to the right of the Grand Cathedral to discover something grand. Note that after the player zones out of wherever they spoke to Patches, he will be gone and the real inhabitant of the residence will return.
- This character can then be found at Lecture Hall (1st floor) where you may talk to him through the door immediately outside the room with the lamp.
- Then, in the Nightmare Frontier, Patches will set a trap by dropping coins and a glowing treasure above a poison pit. Approaching this will trigger a cutscene where a POV Patches will watch the Hunter from some grass, then scurry out and push them into the pit, laughing. (You can spot him on the rock wall above the item, and if you throw an object like a pebble at him he will fall to his death where only Great One's Wisdom will be dropped.)
- Finally, you may have a face to face encounter with him in Lecture Building (1F). To find him, you must access from a ladder on the second floor, kill the giant with flaming hands and go down the ladder, he will we blocking the door of this room.
- Can this NPC be an ally?: Yes
- Can this NPC be an enemy?: Yes
- When confronted, gives the Beg for Life Gesture.
- Selecting the "Not at all" dialogue option, then talking to Patches again gives the Anti-Clockwise Metamorphosis Rune.
- Selecting the first dialogue option will also give you the Anti-Clockwise Metamorphosis Rune. Future consequences unknown, if any.
- Drops: If killed, gives 5453 Blood Echoes and Great One's Wisdom.
- If you kill Amygdala after meeting him in person, he will disappear, leaving the Great One's Wisdom behind on the desk where he once stood.
- Will also drop the Great One's Wisdom in the swamp, if shot down from the cliff in Nightmare Frontier. He will drop nothing if killed in the Lecture Building later.
- Behind a lantern( Any house w a resident will be temporarily replaced, see location information)
...Oh, a hunter of beasts, are you? Glory be. You know not the value you possess.
...But, more's the pity...
The hours of the night are many, and the beasts more than I can count. A veritable hunt unending!
Not even death offers solace, and the blood imbibes you. Ha, a most frightful fate, oh my.
But I'm willing to do you a kindness.
Step lightly round to the right of the great cathedral, and seek an ancient, shrouded church.
...The gift of the godhead will grant you strength...
Yes, I'm unquestionably certain, heheh...(gives Tonsil stone)
- Talk again
Not even death offers solace, and the blood imbibes you. Seek you the
ancient, shrouded church hidden to the right of the main cathedral. ...The
gift of the godhead will grant you strength...
- Cutscene in the shrouded church
Heh heh heh heh...Oh Amygdala, oh Amygdala...
Have mercy on the poor bastard...Hah hah hah!
- Behind the door in Lecture Building 1F
What a joy it is, to behold the divine.
It must be such a pleasure. You're in my debt, you know.
You're in nigh on a beast of the field, but here you are, treading a measure with the gods.
- Talk again
Heh heh...Are your feet as fat as your wits?
Oh, cease this dithering! Take the plunge! Throw yourself to the wolves!...Heh heh heh...
- Talk again
Hah hah hah! Don't dally, you lucky scamp! The gift of the godhead
cometh! Heh heh heh... yes... Ha hah!
When confronted from behind after being ambushed by him and killing Amygdala <Even if still alive he says this
- Oh, this cannot be, you cannot be... No, you didn't... ...How did this come to pass?
- Hmph! Now, wait just a moment... Do you think ill of me, me?
- Indeed, I should think not! I shared with you a thing most secret. Now you're witness to a miracle, and all the stronger for it! You should appreciate it, if you've a grain of gratitude in you! Heh heh... yes, appreciate it! Hah hah hah!
- Oh, it pains me to hear it. You've made yourself a misreckoning. I shared with you a thing most secret. Now you're witness to a miracle, and all the stronger for it! It's plain as a pikestaff. Now, say in my heart, you were as a lamb to my God. Well, you weren't to know, and it wasn't for you to know. All's well, that ends well, I say. *laughs*
Either way he gives a Rune as a peace offering of sorts
- No matter. Such details are trifling. We're fast friends by now. Let this express what words cannot.
- Oh, doubt me not, sweet compeer. What is friendship, but a chance encounter? *laughs*
- Ah, well met. My apologies, but I feel a profound thought occurring... On the good grace of a certain god, and the way he meted out his love. *laughs*
After killing Amygdala new dialogue appears
- Ahh, well met. This is a most pleasing encounter. You see, I must depart
erelong. My god is lost to me, so I must away to find another.
If the fates are kind, out paths may cross again. Sooner still, if you were
to take the leap... Heh heh heh... Hah hah hah!
- Talk again
Oh, think not of poor Amygdala. Upon that piteous bastard, you
bestowed salvation. Heh heh... All's well, that ends well... Heh heh heh...
- Talk again
Oh, think not of poor Amygdala. Upon that piteous bastard, you bestowed salvation.
- Upon Dying
Ergh, that was uncharitably done... That was uncharitably done, dear
- Encounter in Chalice Dungeons
Aah! The sight of you is as balm to my eyes!
Truly, you are an indubitable, irrefutable friend!
And, my dear compeer, I vow once more to ease your burden!
The time has come again I fear.
But if the fates smile upon us, we'll soon meet again.
Farewell, dear friend.
- Lore notes go here
- Random bug where Patches will commit suicide for no apparent reason. Selected "Not at all" dialogue option, exhausted his dialogue, opened door beside him, and then proceeded up the ladder. Once the top of the ladder was reached I received blood echoes. Went back down and Patches was gone and a Great One's Wisdom was in his place. A few stories have surfaced confirming glitch. No information on how or why it happens. (This happened to me selecting the other dialogue option, too. Although the Great One's Wisdom didn't appear in his place....)
- Another random bug seems to occur when you enter the frontier before speaking to patches. (Needs comfirmation) When I first spoke to patches after entering the frontier, he "begged for my forgiveness" before I fell into the trap. (However I did receive the tonsil stone and spoke to him through the window of the first floor lecture building)
- Male Aged Voice is the same voice as Patches.
- It is possible that Patches is referencing Christianity when speaking of the Godhead, as in the Sayings of Jesus, Christ says "The Way of Truth is the Pathway to the Eternal Godhead" - much how Patches says about how "The Godhead will grant you strength".