Gestures are player-generated emotes available in Bloodborne. To access the gesture menu, hit the left side of the touchpad on your controller and then perform the action or highlight your chosen gesture and press the action button to execute. You can also use gestures by holding the X button and moving the controller in the specified direction.
You can move, although slowly, while performing some gestures (e.g. Point Forward, Wave, Shake off Cape), others have a set animation you cannot interrupt (e.g. Curtsy, Hunter's Salutation) and some have a continued animation until you decide to interrupt it (e.g. Pray, Sit Down, Make Contact).
|Available from the start of the game|
|Point Forward||Available from start of game.|
|Hunter's Salutation||Available from start of game.|
|Sit Down||Available from start of game.|
|Hunter's Rally||Available from start of game.|
|Joy||Available from start of game.|
|Conviction||Available from start of game.|
|Wave||Available from start of game.|
|Shake Off Cape||Learned from Eileen the Crow in her first encounter in the hidden room along rafters above the Sewer in Central Yharnam.|
|Pray||Learned from Alfred, in Cathedral Ward next to tomb entrance, by agreeing to his question.|
|Curtsy||Learned from Arianna, by telling her about the safe haven in the Oedon Chapel.|
|Shhh!||Learned from Eileen the Crow in her second encounter in the Cathedral Ward|
|Approval||Help Eileen the Crow fight her target in Tomb of Oedon|
|Triumph||Learned from the Oedon Chapel NPC after you send a girl to his safe haven.|
|Make Contact||Learned from standing corpse in Upper Cathedral Ward.|
|Brush Off Dust||Learned from Djura|
|Church Bow (male)||Learned from Alfred after giving him Unopened Summons|
|Church Bow (female)||Learned from Adella the Nun after you save her and send her to Cathedral Ward|
|Respect||Learned from Annalise, Queen of the Vilebloods for joining the Vilebloods|
|Deep Respect||Learned from Annalise, Queen of the Vilebloods for reaching rank 1 in the Vilebloods|
|Roar||Learned from Alfred after he kills Annalise|
|Beg for Life||Learned from Patches the Spider in the Lecture Building.|
|Wait||Learned from Eileen the Crow in the Grand Cathedral encounter|
|League Oath||Learned from Valtr after crushing 1 Vermin|
- Using the "Shake Off Cape" Gesture near other players will move their clothing.
- Performing Gestures in front of The Plain Doll will trigger various reactions from her.
- The sound effect used for the Roar Gesture is re-used for ambient noises.
- Equipping the Impurity rune changes the League Oath gesture into placing your left hand onto your chest.
- The "Make Contact" gesture appears to form a Pythagorean triangle between the hunters fingertips and shoulder. It has been suggested that forming a Pythagorean triangle could be used in a "first contact" scenario to signal to an intelligent being that the human race understands mathematics, and is thus an intelligent species. It is possible that the gesture was used in making contact with the Old Ones.