This character can be found at Hunter's Dream, usually in front of the flight of stairs that leads to the house, but sometimes moves to the tombstone right next to the backdoor of the house. She will be positioned by the tombstone if your character is carrying a large amount of blood echoes upon returning to the dream after a long hunt. After beating the game with a certain condition, she can be found in another location.
- The plain doll comes to life, and can be interacted with after you gain 1 Insight.
- If given the Small Hair Ornament the doll will shed a Tear Stone, which may be used to gain a droplet that can fit in any gem slot.
- The plain doll sometimes falls asleep.
- She will gesture back if you do a gesture in front of her. Different gestures yield different responses.
- You can still level up your stats, by interacting with her broken body, if you decide to kill her (she remains docile even when attacked). She will be revived the next time you return to the hunters dream.
- This is common for speedruns as it only takes a few hits to kill her, making the leveling screen turn up faster as you do not need to skip through the dialogue. (later NG+ cycles add health, so not worth it after NG)
- The Plain Doll can sometimes be found at two other spots:
- Near the Hunter's Nightmare gravestone.
- Will sometimes recite the prose, blessing the hunter, while praying at the gravestone.
- Near a grave to the right and slightly behind of where you spawn, on a small clearing.
- Near the Hunter's Nightmare gravestone.
When Interacted with:
Welcome home, good hunter. What is it you desire?"
Awakened from sleep:
Ahh, Welcome home, good hunter. I must have drifted off... What is it you desire?"
Very well, let the echoes become your strength. Let me stand close. Now shut your eyes..."
Farewell, good hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world."
Talk during beginning:
Hello, good hunter. I am a doll, here in this dream to look after you. Honorable hunter, pursue the echoes of blood, and I will channel them into your strength. You will hunt beasts... and I will be here for you, to embolden your sickly spirit."
"Did you speak with Gehrman? He was a hunter long, long ago, but now serves only to advise them. He is obscure, unseen in the dreaming world. Still, he stays here, in this dream... ...such is his purpose..."
"Ahh, the little ones, inhabitants of the dream... They find hunters like yourself, worship, and serve them. Speak words, they do not, but still, aren't they sweet?"
Talk during early-game:
"Over time, countless hunters have visited this dream. The graves here stand in their memory. It all seems so long ago now..."
Talk during mid-game:
"Hunters have told me about the church. About the gods, and their love. But... do the gods love their creations? I am a doll, created by you humans. Would you ever think to love me? Of course... I do love you. Isn't that how you've made me?"
Talk after Yharnam Sunrise ending(At lone gravestone)
This grave stands in memory of a hunter I once knew. Though enchanted by the dream, he/she remain strong, and eventually saw the light of dawn. …I pray you have found meaning, and comfort, in the waking world."
Talk during late-game:
Good hunter... Your presence somehow soothes... I sense the ancient echoes, they course your veins..."
Talk at end-game:
Good hunter, you have come... Dawn will soon break... This night, and this dream, will end. Gehrman awaits you, at the foot of the great tree. Go on, good hunter..."
Gifting a Small Hair Ornament:
What... what is this? I-I can't remember, not a thing, only... I feel... A yearning... something I've never felt before... What's happening to me? Ahh... Tell me hunter, could this be joy? Ahh..."
After defeating Lady Maria (The Old Hunters DLC) after reloading the Hunter's Dream twice:
Good hunter. This may sound strange, but... Have I somehow changed? Moments ago, from some place, perhaps deep within, I sensed a liberation from heavy shackles. Not that I would know... How passing strange... [chuckle]"
After defeating Orphan of Kos (The Old Hunters DLC) but before attacking the black shadow:
Oh, good hunter. I can hear Gehrman sleeping. On any other night, he'd be restless. But on this night, he sounds so very calm. ...perhaps something has eased his suffering"
Farewell, good hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world."
And so, the hunt begins."
Are you cold? Oh, Good Hunter."
The plain doll will sometimes utter a prose that blesses the hunter when they pass by, without being interacted with. This may happen either when she's in front of the house or at the back of the house.
- If interacted with afterwards, the plain doll will say the very same lines as when she's waked by the hunter, as if she were unconscious while uttering the prose. One can tell since she also makes the noise as when her sleep is disturbed.
- The criteria for triggering this event is unknown.(Seems like coming back to the Hunter's Dream with a vast amount of echos can help on getting this dialogue)
"O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients... Let the hunter be safe, let him(her) find comfort. And let this dream, his(her) captor... foretell a pleasant awakening... be, one day, a fond, distant memory..."
- The plain doll is a man-made contraption void of life, but in the Hunter's Dream she is alive and appears to be inhabited by some kind of eldritch being. She appears to breathe and sleep, yet is built by humans and has man made parts (the most apparent being her hands). She describes herself as "created by humans", this could mean that the body she is inhabiting is man-made but many of her actions suggest that she is a being that posses great power. The Doll cannot be killed and when interacted she has the ability to use blood echoes to strengthen hunters.
- The doll is the only being in all of Bloodborne that bleeds pure white pale blood. Kin of the Cosmos, such as celestial emissaries and celestial child, bleed gray colored serum blood.
- Upon gaining one insight and talking to the doll, she tells the hunter that "she is there to embolden your sickly spirit". She may be referring to your beastly curse, and she is there to help guide you in order to conquer this sickness. According to the Clawmark Rune and Beast Roar, the beastly nature resides inside the hearts of all humans. This could mean that the Doll is trying to guide you so that you'll transcend humanity and evolve into a greater being to conquer the beast inside.
- Later in game, after defeating Rom, the Doll will say "Good Hunter your presence somehow soothes.... I sense the ancient echoes, they course your veins.." Blood Echoes are the will of slain enemies. She finds the hunter's presence soothing after the hunter absorbs Rom's Blood Echoes. The Doll mentions that she senses the "ancient echoes coursing in the hunter's veins". This means that she senses the will of the ancients in the hunter; she senses the will of the Great Ones inside. The doll also finds the hunter's presence soothing which suggests that the hunter is becoming more than human and less beast like.
- She is the only NPC in all of Bloodborne that takes a kind, loving stance towards hunters.
- According to the Small Hair Ornament as well as the Doll Set, her attire was made with great love that borderlines on mania and exudes a slight warmth. The Tear Blood Gem reads, "Perhaps the doll's creator had wished for just such a friend, albeit in vain".It seems that whoever created the doll sought after companionship, to ease the creator's loneliness. Many suspect that Gehrman is the doll's creator, due to the fact that the lifeless doll and small hair ornament are located at the Old Abandoned Workshop.
- Maria Hunter Set hints that the Doll, who was made by Gherman, is meant to resemble Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower. Furthermore, the set states Maria held great admiration for Gehrman, but is unaware of his mania.
- Description of the Caryll rune Moon: "The Great Ones that inhabit the nightmare are sympathetic in spirit, and often answer when called upon." From this description, we can speculate that Moon Presence gave life to the doll or even some other cosmic being inhabited the doll to ease Gehrman's loneliness out of sympathy. The One third of Umbilical cord from the Old Abandoned Workshop states that it is the catalyst that was used to summon the pale moon and form the Hunter's Dream. A note found in the lecture building states: "The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood." This note suggests that there were more than one person involved with the use of the umbilical cord to summon the moon and give rise to the Hunter's Dream. The Plain Doll most likely became alive during the rise of The Hunter's Dream.
- It is speculated that Maria, the Cainhurst Hunter who was once Gehrman's student could be the inspiration behind her creation. This was later confirmed in The Old Hunters DLC.
- The plain doll's voice actress, Evetta Muradasilova, also provided the voice for the Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls.
- She asks the hunter to "shut your eyes" when requested to level up, but the hunter's eyes would actually remain open in the level up screen.
- She seems to glow dimly with moonlight when she bows to the hunter. It is unclear whether this is a visual glitch or is intended.
- Unlike other npcs she actually has facial expressions, or at least one. She will move her lips slightly if yo do a gesture that makes her reply with applause.
- While inanimate, she will patiently tap her finger (zoom in with monocular).
- The Doll in the real world (Old Abandoned Workshop) also taps her finger, as if alive...
- If you skip her intro dialogue with perfect timing, it will sound like she says "Well, what is it?"
- Killing her will revert her dialogue back to her initial greeting, as if it's the first time you meet. This only applies up until you trigger the endgame.
- When attacked, the plain doll bleeds white "blood".
- In the story trailer we see a picture of the doll sitting in what appears to be a wheelchair, perhaps implying that she was initially created to be the host of the hunter's dream; a position now held by Gehrman.
- If you position the camera inside her head you will see that the back of her eyeballs have eyes on it and other shapes. This could be a Berserk reference to Behelits. In Berserk, Behelits are egg shape objects with eyes and facial features on them. They allow humans to transcend humanity and become something else. It is interesting that the Doll posses eyes similar to behelits in bloodborne. It may also just be a remnant of a warped texture map that was not cleaned up -- when texture maps are drawn, they are plain 2D images of what will eventually become an asset and sometimes possess other reference items such as colour ranges or size comparisons. Sometimes, the same texture map can hold more than one asset texture altogether.
- The Doll (more properly her voice actress) has an eastern european/ Czech accent.