"A corpse... should be left well alone.
Oh, I know very well. How the secrets beckon so sweetly.
Only an honest death will cure you now.
Liberate you, from your wild curiosity."
The boss will only be initiated once the corpse is examined. After the cutscene, Maria and the player character will be placed into set positions and the fight will begin.
This fight has three phases:
- Phase 1:
- Lady Maria will fight normally with the Rakuyo occasionally switching between transformed and untransformed modes.
- Can occasionally use a gun when her weapon is untransformed.
- Phase 2:
- Maria will stab her chest with the two blades, produce an explosion of blood and coat her weapons in it, similar to the Chikage.
- All of her previously used attacks will now have extended reach and will gain a bloody effect.
- In this stage she will also gain several new attacks incorporating blood.
- Phase 3:
- Lady Maria will levitate off the ground slowly, seemingly syphoning the blood on her, then producing a fairly large blood explosion.
- All attacks used in the previous phases now gain a fire property, which traces each attack, producing fire after the attack finishes.
- The fire is produced slightly further away from the attack, effectively extending the attack's range.
- It is possible to be hit by both the attack and the fire after it in succession if not dodged properly.
- Some of her attacks now open up visceral attacks for her.
- 39000 Blood Echoes (NG) 123,669 Blood Echoes (NG+) 136,065 (NG++), NG+6 (247,338), NG+7 (309,173)
- Maria Hunter Set can be bought after killing her at the Messenger Insight Bath
- Celestial Dial will spawn next to the lamp at the Astral Clocktower after killing her
- Dodge to your left to avoid most of her attacks.
- It is possible to parry Maria through all her three phases.
- It is also possible to stagger her through all three phases.
- Starting from phase 2, Maria will gain an attack that can unconditionally parry, similar to Gehrman's bullet (a single, long charging criss-cross attack)
- When attempting to parry Maria in phase 3, even if it is successful, it is still possible to be hit by the fire slashes of her attack even though the attack does not complete and the fire effect does not appear on screen. This will damage and stun you, preventing you from getting a visceral in.
- She can easily be moved to phase 3, even skipping phase 2, with 3-4 visceral attacks.
- A cheese is possible where you knock her down with Augur of Ebrietas, walk up to her, and repeat. You get the chance for a visceral attack if you time it properly.
- Cheese also possible using the Threaded Cane. Light attacks (untransformed) stunlock her long enough to chain them together, so you can light-attack her until your stamina is drained. Repeat until victory, parries and visceral attacks make successful starting points for these chains of attacks.
- Executioner Gloves stagger her nicely. Shoot two charges with the gloves, refill with blood bullets and shoot two more charges. You can use the stagger to get some hits in as well.
- Ludwig's Holy Blade when above a strength threshold will stagger Maria out of her 'armored' (two-handed moves).
- When using the Chikage, phase 1 during her dual wield can be handled by staggering her normal moves and looking out for her 2h strikes which can be easily parried because they are slow and the only moves that won't be staggered.
- Get her next to a wall. Roar, 4 to 5 hits depending on your stamina (never let it fully deplete). Roar, 4 to 5 hits, repeat.
Second and Third Phase
- Hug her left side and try to stay as close to her as possible, quickly close any gap between you and Maria. One or two hits, then dash around to get yourself position behind her again.
- This strategy requires pistol and Silver Sword mode of either Kirkhammer or Ludwig's Blade
- If you R1 spam she either dodges away or stays put and tries to attack back. The silver sword is fast and poise breaking enough so that she can't hit back. Even the heavy two handed charged smash gets canceled if you hit her enough.
- Spam deals heavy damage to her and works in all 3 phases but the situation has to be perfect or you will get punished. You need to have enough stamina to do it and bail out safely
- Counter shot baiting is useful when you aren't used to PVP parrying or not familiar with the moveset of Maria
- To create a parry shot chance you can either start shooting at anytime during your R1 spam or use the R2 thrust attack (charged or not) to lightly stun her and shoot immediately after it once or twice
- On those occasions she is near you and can either dodge away or try to attack back getting counter shot and punished
- To do chain of parries you need to do running R1 attack after visceral attack. It gets her lightly stunned again and if you shoot her again there is a high chance you can parry her again especialy in the first phase
- In the second and third phase it is more about getting a chance to R1 spam and maybe finish the spam with a visceral attack. Running R1 trick or R2 thrust attack can be done more rarely then.
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
- - VaatiVidya- Lady Maria General Strategy
- - Kamies- Lady Maria, NG+2, BL 100, R1 spam and Parry Baiting
- - Lucians_sword - Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower - Strategies & Fight
- - Mhazard - Lady Maria, No HUD
- She is voiced by Evetta Muradasilova, the same voice actress who voiced the Plain Doll, and the Maiden in Black in Demon's Souls.
- Maria could be the inspiration behind the Plain Doll created by Gehrman.
- Killing her triggers additional dialogue with the Plain Doll, further fueling the connection between the two.
- It appears that players are unable to summon help for fighting her on their first try, most likely due to her arena being positioned directly after another boss battle.
- There are many resemblances with the Sir Alonne boss battle (Dark Souls 2). The scenery, the choice of music and the use of katanas.
- She has a special visceral attack animation, in which she will hug the player character before removing her hand from their chest. What triggers it is currently unknown.
- When she uses "charge attacks" she emits little blue lights. Such lights can also be detected when you transform church weapons or when you gain Insight.
- Some of the blue lights turn out to be snowflakes. Such snowflakes where also detected during the meteor shower of The Living Failures.
- Maria's attire displays a golden salamander
- Her Rakuyo can be interpreted as mimicking the hands of the Astral Clock. Some of her stances also seem to imitate the hands of a clock.
- The cover for the DLC (the picture right behind these letters) shows her holding the saber part of her Rakuyo.