Keeper of the Old Lords (旧主の番人 Kyūshu no ban'nin lit. "Watchman of the Old Lords") is a Boss in Bloodborne.
- The Bone Ash Set becomes available to purchase at the Insight Bath Messengers after defeating this boss.
- Central Pthumeru Chalice (Layer 2)
- Defiled Chalice (Layer 1)
- May appear as a regular, respawning enemy with greatly decreased health in high level dungeons, mostly accompanied with Keeper's Hunting Dogs
- Central Pthumeru Root Chalice
- Radial Blood Gem (when defeated in Defiled Chalice)
- Shard Damp Blood Gem (4)
- Keeper of the Old Lords is staggered as easily as other human sized enemies, even when in the middle of an attack. Well timed blows can prevent the Keeper from completing any attack altogether.
- If you're having trouble with this boss (like in a defiled dungeon where you only have half health, for instance), you can poison it with two Poison Knives. It's best to use the strategy outlined above for the first phase of the fight and then switch to poison daggers when it buffs its sword with fire.
- The Keeper of the Old Lords can be beaten easily with Ludwig's Holy Blade by baiting her into engaging you, and staggering him in the middle of his somewhat slow attacks. To do this, get just in range of it so that it starts walking towards you. Once it gets about 6 steps away, charge your Ludwig's Holy Blade power attack in Greatsword (transform) mode and let go just before it swings. After awhile, it'll apply Fire Paper to their blade and begin to run at you. Continue the same tactic, however while compensating for its run speed, also immediately back dodge twice after landing your attack. It will often follow up its attack with a long reaching move and you will be caught with it if you're late.
- This boss can be easily stun-locked with the Blade of Mercy in dagger form. The Keeper won't be able to attack or dodge away. Just keep on top of her, and when your stamina gets low hop back and recharge.
- Do not completely deplete your stamina; leave a little bit so you could dodge away at the end, or the Keeper will surely retaliate should you try to walk away.
- Other weapons can still stun-lock, but his dodge attack would be fast enough to slip through between 2 swings of your weapon.
- When his HP is reduced to about two thirds, the Keeper will attempt to apply fire to his sword and gain new abilities. While the Keeper attempts to do so, any attack will stagger him out of the animation, stopping him from entering phase 2. However if the attack landed too late and fire is already burning away on his sword, he would enter phase 2 anyway. If one keeps preventing him from entering phase 2, he would give up for a while and continue fighting.
- Often after being parried (or being shot during a non-parryable attack, particularly the 'short shoulder-charge into flame punch' maneuver), the Keeper will do a defensive two-swing combo. He also tends to use this after getting up from a Visceral Attacks. These defensive swings can themselves be parried, allowing one with proper timing to chain Visceral Attacks against him without giving him any opportunity to defend himself.
- Skill/Bloodtinge builds can have an easy time against this boss. You just have to attack twice with a transformed Reiterpallasch then immediately afterwards use the transformed R2 to shoot. It will always parry since he will attempt to attack after the second hit. Even after he buffs his weapon he will do the same thing. You can repeat this strategy until he falls. This strategy also works with Chikage.
- Be careful if you chose to parry this boss. Landing a visceral attack while he is up against a wall will often times clip him into the wall, forcing you to restart the battle as he is no longer accessible.
- For Arcane build, Keeper of the Old Lords can be staggered with Executioner's Gloves, combined with the use of Bloodbullet and Oedon Writhe Visceral Attack, the Keeper can be killed with ease.
|Attack Name||Attack Description & Counter|
|Flame Wave||The Keepers' fist glows red before sending out two waves of flames at the player. Typically used when the player is at medium range.|
|Flame Burst||A ball of fire erupts from the Keepers' hand. Short range but fast.
The Keeper could follow up with a slash after this attack, or he could slash first then immediately perform this attack.
|Ring of Fire||The Keeper lifts their glowing fist into the air before slamming it into the ground, creating an expanding ring of fire around them.|
|Dodging Slash||Two wide sword slashes, with the second being executed while the Keeper dodges backwards. Sends out waves of fire when the Keeper has ignited his sword.|
|Running Slash||The Keeper runs forward and swings his sword. Sends out a wave of fire when his sword is ignited. One of his easiest attacks to parry. Fire pistol just before the swing. Identify the attack, let him come as close as you dare and then shot.|
- In the Defiled Dungeons the amounts of physical damage received and heal will be decreased along with the decreased max health, but elemental damage will do normal damage making Keeper of the Old Lords surprisingly tough, being able to 1 shot players.
- Is a possible reference to Dark Souls, his name as Keeper of the 'Old Lords' referring to the Great Souls as well as his use of Fire, remenisent of pyromancy, in addition their armor greatly resembles the Dark Set from all 3 Dark Soul games, with the hat and robes added.
- Keepers have at least 8 eyes in their head, with pupils and irises. Their eyes resemble those of Amygdala.
- Their armor resembles a spider's web and eyes can be found within the gaps. This makes it resemble Amygdala's head.
- Eyes can be found within their flames. Similar eyes can be found in the flames of Boom Hammer Hunter.