Beast's Embrace Effects
- When equipped, it transforms the player into "The Ghastly Beast."
- This is one of two Covenants that involves transforming the Hunter into a non-human form.
- The other one is the Lumenwood Kin Covenant.
- The Hunter receives a permanent Beasthood meter only when using the Beast Claw, transformed or not.
- It also radically changes how the Hunter behaves, both in movement and when attacking, but only with the Beast Claw. (Backstep & rolling looks quicker - needs testing)
- Most noticeably, the Hunter will howl and screech like a beast when attacking and doing certain movements.
- Defeat Laurence, The First Vicar.
- To memorize this rune, you must have the Rune Workshop Tool.
- The Hunter receives reduced fall damage while the rune is equipped.
- Damage against Beast DOWN effect on cursed blood gem does not affect anyone equipped with the Beast's Embrace.
- In general, gems that specialize against Beasts won't affect a user of the Beast's Embrace.
Improvements for Beast Claw
- A special feral leap attack (Forward-R2).
- If used to attack an opponent from behind, it will trigger a backstab, allowing for a Visceral Attack.
- A beast-like howl (L2) which consumes zero Quicksilver Bullets. It deals minor damage but can attack multiple opponents at once.
- This abiliity can be parried.
- It also heavily boosts the Beasthood meter; this is especially noticeable when used on multiple opponents.
- A dashing heavy attack (R2) while transformed will make the character drag both claws along the ground and slash at the target from below.
- Each claw hits separately, which independently boosts Beasthood.
- During combat, the Hunter will hunch over, behaving more beastly while also using unique dodge animations with slightly increased distance while dodging.
- The Hunter can deal a transformation attack from normal to transformed, which was impossible to do without the rune.
- While it has no charged R2 attacks, they deal slow but heavy damage that can quickly boost Beasthood.
- The Beast form loosely resembles the Abhorrent Beast, possibly suggesting the origin of the Afflicted Begger.
- It also resembles a Cleric Beast, similar to Laurence, the first vicar.
- When the Hunter attacks while using the transformed Beast Claws (and you have this rune equipped), if the Hunter stands still suddenly, the idle animation is different than normal.
- The image of the rune resembles a Beast Claw, an indicator of what you will become when you choose to be a part of this Covenant.
- Since gems that effect damage against Beasts won't apply against users of the Beast's Embrace, it might mean the Hunter isn't quite yet a "true" beast.
- This is similar to the citizens of Yharnam who haven't quite become beasts themselves.
- However, it's very clear that the symptoms are progressing, making it possible that lore-wise the Hunter might become similar to the Afflicted Beggar if used for too long.