Kirkhammer (教会の石槌 Church Mallet) is a Trick Weapon in Bloodborne.
"A trick weapon typically used by Healing Church hunters. On the one side, an easily handled silver sword. On the other, a giant obtuse stone weapon, characterized by a blunt strike and extreme force of impact. The Church takes a heavy-handed, merciless stance toward the plague of beasts, an irony not lost upon the wielders of this most symbolic weapon."
- The normal form is a regular silver sword.
- It's slightly shorter than Ludwig's Holy Blade's normal form.
- In this form, it's considered a Righteous Weapon, and will deal 50% increased damage against opponents vulnerable to this subgroup.
- When transformed, the Hunter inserts the sword into a huge rock and wields the new form as a gigantic hammer.
- This form is wielded with two hands.
- It doesn't receive the Righteous Weapon modifier, unlike the normal form.
- Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice
- Code: 6shtucek, need offering Rotted: Inflicted Organ x3 (Layer 2: Before the boss, in a coffin past the side door)
- Sinister Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice
- Glyphs: 3zuzathw (Layer 2 bonus area after gate, Sinister Offering)
- Glyphs: sd5tputs (Layer 1 bonus side area before boss room)
- Isz Root Chalice
- Glyph: fqsntdsi (Bonus area before boss, Layer 1), 9fzgw3ec (Layer 2 side area)
- Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice
need offering Rotted: Inflicted Organ x3
- Sinister Isz Root Chalice
- The normal form consumes low stamina per attack and is an easily handled weapon.
- However, it's somewhat slower than other light weapons, such as the Threaded Cane.
- Still, it's a fast and highly versitile weapon that can used for almost any situation.
- While transformed, the hammer form uses heavy blunt attacks to crush foes.
- The hammer is capable of staggering many enemies in the game quickly.
- The hammer's smash attacks have an area of effect; enemies not directly hit by the hammer will take reduced damage.
- The sprinting R2 attack also has an AoE effect.
- The hammer's stagger and interrupt effects lends it to an aggressive rather than reactive playstyle. Be the one who attacks first and you can prevent the enemy from attacking at all. The best defense is a good offense with this weapon.
- Both transforming attacks have two parts: damage is dealt in the first part, but the 2 components of the weapon are not combined/separated until the second is complete.
- If you are staggered in the middle of a transforming attack, damage will be dealt but the weapon will not transform.
- The sword-to-hammer transformation attack can save you from some attacks when you are close to the enemy; this happens as the Hunter bends over when pulling the hammer part from his/her back.
- After performing the sword-to-hammer transformation attack, you can follow up with a thrust attack (R1), which has decent reach.
- The Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Holy Blade's transforming attacks take significantly more time to execute than those of other Trick Weapons.
- The Dashing R1 attack of the Hammer is a two-handed "push" towards the enemy using the handle of the hammer.
- It deals less damage and can be annoying at first, but it is a very quick attack and staggers most enemies.
- If you wish to deal heavy damage while dashing with the hammer, use the dashing R2, which delivers a horizontal swing with decent reach. (The dashing R2 is the same attack as the L2, but consumes more stamina and continues to move forward during the attack)
- Sprinting R1 and backstep R1 in hammer form have block frames, and significantly reduce incoming damage. The frames seem to begin as soon as the attack is performed.
The Beast Cutter is a good choice to compliment the Kirkhammer. The Beast Cutter is ideal for groups (and has range unlike the Kirkhammer) in tricked form, while the Kirkhammer is good for single targets (shortsword for quick/light/weak targets), and the tricked form is good for large targets. The L2 in tricked form for the Kirkhammer does have some range, however it's not nearly as safe as a tricked R1 attack from the Beast Cutter, and the Beast Cutter has just as much stagger. Plus, both weapons have different damage types (shortsword form is Righteous, while Beast Cutter in both forms is Serrated), which helps their complimentary uses further.
R: Rally/Regain. The amount of HP regained on an R1 attack immediately after taking damage
Move sets & Videos
|Move||Damage Type & Modifier||Stamina||Effect|
|R1 Combo||1.00x||16||A four attack combo starting with a diagonal slash from upper right to lower left, horizontal slash left to right, windmill motion to raise the sword up and down for a vertical slash and a thrust forward and slightly up.|
|Quickstep R1||1.00x||20||There are three quickstep attack animations. Going forward or backward has the character scrape the ground on its right side as the sword is brought upward and overhead in a slashing motion. Going left creates a horizontal slash from left to right. This is not quite mirrored to the right as the attack adds a slight diagonal downward path to the right to left arc.|
|Backstep R1||0.90x||20||The hunter's right foot comes forward, and as the left takes a step the sword is raised from near the left foot to over the right shoulder in an upward slash.|
|Rolling R1||0.95x||20||Finishing the roll, the hunter scrapes the blade of the sword on the ground near his right foot and slashes up and slightly left.|
|Dash R1||1.10x||30 (+run)||The sword is brought to the left and back where, after a very short pause, it is slashed horizontally from left to right.|
|R2 Attack||1.40x||55||A forward thrust, directly in front of the character.|
|Charged||1.70x||75||After a longer windup, the sword is thrust forward much like the R2 attack, except with a lightly upward path.|
|Backstep R2||1.25x||40||A thrust forward that is different from the R2 only in very minor differences in arm angle during the windup.|
|Dash R2||1.35x||50 (+run)||The hunter thrusts the sword forward like the R2 and backstep R2|
|Leap||1.70x||50||The character leaps forward and as it falls, thrusts the sword into the ground, ending in a near kneel|
|Transform Attack||1.50x||40 (+x)||There is only one transformation animation for this weapon. The hunter reaches behind to grab the hammer part off their back and raises it overhead to smash it in front on the ground. The right hand then slams the blade in to add the handle, completing the hammer.|
|Move||Damage Type & Modifier||Stamina||Effect|
|R1 Combo||1.40x||38||The hammer is alternated between two downward diagonal attacks. Upper right to the ground on the left side, and upper left to the ground on the right side. The first animation (right to left) is slightly different than later ones.|
|Quickstep R1||1.20x||40||Each direction has a unique animation in this form. Left and right create opposite diagonal attacks, with the right going from right to left while it slams into the ground and the left quickstep resulting in a left to right diagonal. Both forward and back steps have the hammer brought overhead and slammed into the ground in front of the character. However, the forward step animation is much faster, but with a less pronounced move forward.|
|Backstep R1||0.60x||20||The character lunges forward with the hammer held in front horizontally like a shield and pushes the enemy.|
|Rolling R1||1.26x||40||The rolling R1 is a very similar attack animation to the standard R1 (overhead right smashing down). However, the attack is slightly faster and combines with the roll to create a move that's fairly effective at closing distances and striking with such a large weaon.|
|Dash R1||0.80x||25 (+run)||The character uses the same push animation as the backstep R1|
|R2 Attack||1.70x||50||The hammer is brought behind the character and raised straight up and down|
|Charged||3.10x||80||The hammer is brought even further behind, with the character actually twisting to raise the hammer up over the left side of the body. The hammer is brought up, not quite as vertically as the R2 attack, and brought violently into the ground. The hammer is brought down with such force that the left leg comes off the ground at impact. The following R2 input makes the character spin around and hit the foe again, usually sending smaller foes flying backwards and has a circular hitbox.|
|Backstep R2||1.40x||35||The hammer is brought down from the shoulder to the right side. As the hunter lunges forward the hammer is thrust forward using the full length of the weapon.|
|Dash R2||1.50x||50 (+run)||The hunter drops the hammer off the shoulder and swings the hammer horizontally from right to left.|
|Leap||1.60x||50||The leap has the hunter smash the hammer into the ground from a vertical swing.|
|L2||1.50x||40||A three attack combo, it begins with the hammer swung horizontally right to left, followed by a quick flick of the weapon to thrust it forward, and finally it's brought around the right side of the body then behind and up to be swung down diagonally from left to right into the ground. If you happen to have stamina left over and your enemy isn't already past, the combo can be started again. There are significant pauses between attacks, meaning the hunter is open to retribution|
|Transform Attack||1.50||20 (+x)||The hammer is brought low to the right side then swung to the left and up to conclude the attack. The swing is carried through however, and the hammer is place on the back while the sword is pulled out.|
- A miniature of the Kirkhammer was included as the Pre-Order Bonus for Asian editions of Bloodborne. [See the Bundles page for details]
- A "kirk" is an archaic old english word meaning "church."
- This means the weapon is literately known as the Church Hammer.
- The wording also might be a nod to Nordic culture since the word "Kirk" originated from northern England and Old Norse wording.
- The etched wording on the side of the hammer part has similarities to the Old Norse alphabet.
- However, it also has similarities to the Elder Futhark, one of the oldest forms of the runic alphabet system used by Germanic tribes.
- Similar etchings can be found on gravestones all over Yharnam.
- The sword used for this weapon is very similar to the one used for Ludwig's Holy Blade.
- This suggests that the Healing Church used the method of "interchangeable parts" to efficiently mass produce weapons for their hunters.
- However, the sword used for the Kirkhammer is shorter.
- It's wielded by Alfred, should you choose to be friends with him.
- When untransformed, with the hammer part on the character's back, some cloth parts (capes etc.) of the armor can either get awkwardly stuck on it or cover it.
- Despite being labeled a 'stone weapon', the etchings, wear, and sound produced when it strikes indicate that the hammer is in fact made of metal.