Game Progress Route for Bloodborne is a guide for players to find a recommended path to complete the game. If you are new to souls games, we recommend reading the New Player Help and Combat pages so that you can understand the game's mechanics better. Further Guides are available here.
Game Progress Route
- Die to first enemy or find the Lamp and enter Hunter's Dream
- Kill first enemy with visceral attack.
- Use tombstone to warp back to 1st Floor Sickroom or if you ran past the Wolf Beast warp to Central Yharnam
- Collect starting gear from Messengers on the stairs
Great Bridge (Optional)
- Two options for how to proceed.
- Progress to Old Yharnam (optional, step 7)
- Purchase the Hunter Chief Emblemfrom the Lower Bath Messengersfor 10,000 Blood Echoes and proceed to boss Vicar Amelia. If you chose to go to Old Yharnamyou do not need to purchase the emblem. Note: If you do not purchase the emblem and therefore do not unlock the cathedral ward gate to the circular area using the emblem, you will not be able to summon any help for the fight with Vicar Amelia.
- You may enter The Old Huntersafter you have defeated Amelia.
- Talk to Eileen the Crow just outside the front door to the left (only after unlocking the shortcut with the Hunter Chief Emblem, including the shortcut leading to the Cathedral Ward lamp), then head back to the Tomb of Oedon (you can't awaken there, you have to walk back), once there you will be confronted by Henryk, a blood mad hunter. Help Eileen defeat him (but avoid hitting her too much, as this will cause her to aggro).
- Talk to the Oedon Chapel Dweller near the Cathedral Ward lamp
- Meet Alfred
- Return to Gilbert and receive Flamesprayer
- Return to the Lonely Old Woman and direct her to the Cathedral Ward (you must first talk to the Oedon Chapel Dweller near the Cathedral Ward lamp).
- Return to Viola and either give her the Red Jeweled Brooch or send her to the Cathedral Ward(She won't actually show up, but the story arc will continue.)
- Obtain the Monocular
- Defeat Vicar Amelia
- Proceed to Old Yharnam
- This area and boss are entirely optional; however, they are highly recommended for the items and content they unlock.
- Enter from the Cathedral Ward,evade Djura's gatling gun, and continue through to the boss. Killing Djura now will get you the Powder Keg Hunter Badge; however, if you wait until later, you can obtain a gesture in addition to the badge.
- Defeating Blood-Starved Beast will open the way to the Healing Church Workshop, thereby getting to Vicar Amelia without buying the Hunter Chief Emblem. However, doing so will not enable any summoning for the fight until the Cathedral Ward gate is unlocked with the emblem or by activating the lever on the opposite side of the gate.
- OPTIONAL (Step 12): In order to get both the gesture and the badge from Djura, enter Darkbeast Paarlarena (you do not need to defeat him in order to approach Djura) in Hypogean Gaol (you cannot access this area until after defeating the Blood-Starved Beast and then get killed by a Snatcher) and open the shortcut to Old Yharnam. From Blood-Starved Beast lamp or Darkbeast Paarl lamp, approach Djura without aggroing him or atttacking any monsters and answer "spare the Beasts". This will grant the gesture, the badge, and he will be friendly. Feel free to kill him after this for access to the Ashen Hunter Set.
Healing Church Workshop (Optional)
- The previously closed door near the Cathedral Ward lamp will now be open.
- Fall down the rafters to the bottom to access the shortcut back to Cathedral Ward so you don't have to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem.
- Obtain Radiant Sword Hunter Badge at the top
- Obtain One Third of Umbilical Cord
Get here from step 6 or 8 and defeat Vicar Amelia to get the password for the Forbidden Woods by touching the altar behind the boss arena. You can receive the Tonsil Stone from 4 different NPCs with red lanterns once you open the door to the Forbidden Woods.
- Obtain the Black Church Set
- Once you have beaten 3 bosses find Arianna and direct her to the Cathedral Ward. This is important for getting One Third of Umbilical Cord later.
- After telling Arianna to go to the Cathedral Ward tell the Skeptical Man to go to Iosefka's Clinic (you must first talk to Iosefka). He actually goes there if you tell him to head for Oedon Chapel.
Optional area. To get here you must go left of the Grand Cathedral when facing the front of the cathedral from the outside.
- Optional area. To get here you must face one of the Snatcher enemies and let it kill you without it enraging, just let it attack and kill you without hitting it. It will look like you die but a cutscene will play and you will lose your Blood Echoes. You will have to pick them up where you died.
- This is a good place to farm Blood Echoes, Blood Stone Shards, and Twin Blood Stone Shards by killing the 2 Snatchers and the 2 Giant Boars outside. Nets around 12,000 Blood Echoes per run.
- Go into boss room where the Darkbeast Paarl is, and either defeat it or let it kill you (if you kill it, proceed to unlock the shortcut to Old Yharnam). As soon as you reach the shortcut ladder leading to where Djura is, DO NOT run, roll, OR sprint. Casually climb up the next two ladders and WALK towards him to talk to Djura and receive both the badge and the gesture.
Lecture Building1st Floor (Optional)
Optional area. To get here you must have the Tonsil Stone in your inventory and get picked up by the invisible Lesser Amygdala that is at the dead end to the right of the Grand Cathedral when facing the front of the cathedral from the outside. You will actually have immediate access to this area upon defeating Rom, the Vacuous Spider.
Nightmare Frontier (Optional)
Optional area. Leave the lecture building through the large doors at the end of the hall. Can be quite difficult right now, suggested to return later. Beware of the poison water.
Iosefka's Clinic(Rear Entrance)
NOTE: If you intend to use Iosefka as a source for one of the One Third of Umbilical Cord, do NOT kill her now. Return here after killing Rom, The Vacuous Spider in order to get One Third of Umbilical Cord. The catch here is that killing her now would let you obtain a rune. This makes her the best candidate to sacrifice, since the other three cord sources don't require you to give up anything. The choice is yours.
- Obtain Cainhurst Summons
- Open front door
Optional Area. To get here you must have the Cainhurst Summons in your inventory and approach the large obelisk in the graveyard near theWitch's Abode, there are two executioners in the graveyard. The Witch boss must be defeated for this to work.
Area can be quite difficult.
- Hypogean Gaol lamp will no longer work; however, there are shortcuts into here from Yahar'gul, Unseen Village
- Any NPCs that can be "saved" (ask you about a safe place) and have not been saved will be lost. Make sure Arianna is saved to get One Third of Umbilical Cord.
- Amygdalas will become visible.
- Many Hunter NPCs quest lines can be completed now such as Eileen the Crow, which she will be found at the top of the steps leading to the Grand Cathedral.
- Iosefka can no longer be fought to obtain the Oedon Writhe rune. After killing Rom, she will then provide One Third of Umbilical Cord instead.
- The Upper Cathedral Key can be found in the building where the laser-shooting Amygdala is located.
- Defeat One Reborn
- Inspect the Mummy after One Reborn to gain access to Lecture Building 2nd Floor (step 22).
- Open shortcut to Lecture Building 1st Floor
- Defeat Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
- Defeat Mergo's Wet Nurse and receive One Third of Umbilical Cord
End Game - Hunter's Dream
There are three endings and how you proceed will decide which ending you get.
NOTE: Once you trigger the end game boss(es) you can not continue in the open world so finish everything you want to before triggering the end.
- Ending one - Consume no more than 2 One Third of Umbilical Cordand then talk to Gehrman.Let him kill you, no final boss.
- Ending two - Consume no more than 2 One Third of Umbilical Cordand then talk to Gehrman.Fight him as final boss.
- Ending three - Collect and consume 3 or more One Third of Umbilical Cord and then talk to Gehrman.Fight him as the penultimate boss before the Moon Presence - the true final boss.