Rally, is a risk/reward combat mechanic in Bloodborne. After being hit by an enemy, you may jump back in the action and attack your opponent to quickly refill any lost health before your health bar actually depletes the amount. Timing is crucial to the execution of this mechanic.
- "In Yharnam, the best defense is a solid, strategic offense.
- When you take damage from enemies, counter-attack the enemy within a certain period of time to regain some of your lost HP. The damage taken initially turns orange, indicating you can earn it back if you are quick enough. Hesitate too long and you’ll lose that health for good.
- With a stronger focus on offense and pro-active combat, battles become more pitched, thrilling and rewarding."
- To regain your health, you must successfully execute one or several attacks on an enemy within 5 seconds after being hit.
- You can only regain the HP lost from the last hit that connected. Heavy damage quickly followed up by a light hit will negate your chance to regain.
- The rally slider on the health bar is seen as an orange color next to the red health you currently have.
- Heavy attacks will regain more HP than light attacks, but dps should be the deciding factor to the amount regained.
- Visceral attacks will regain the full amount of what is possible, if performed within the window. (confirmed)
- Also note that many defeated enemies are temporarily available for rally spam during their death animations.
- Each Weapon has a determined amount of health that is recovered by default R1 attack. They range from 30~75 HP.
- Hunter Tools, Firearms and Torches do not have the ability to regain health, although punching with bare fists and even kicking on ladders will.
- Enemy armor will lower rally in same capacity as damage inflicted.
- Upgrades to the weapons via Blood Stone Shards, Chunks, etc will increase the HP regained for the base R1 attack by a determined HP amount. So a +10 weapon will regain more HP than the same weapon at +0 or +5.
- There are also Blood Gems that will boost the weapons Rally Potential and increase the amount of health regained with each hit.
- Each swing of the weapon and move has its own damage and rally modifier. For simplicity, the wiki only links base values for comparison.
- it is possible to post rally potential using blood gems, this gives the player extra time to land the hits needed to regain the health.