|Byrgenwerth||2545 Blood Echoes
Provost Willem is a non-player character in Bloodborne.
Provost Willem is the head of Byrgenwerth, an academic institute from which the Healing Church originated. He and others scholars discovered a holy medium, deep within the tomb of the gods. Willem's aim is to advance the evolution of humankind and achieve higher planes of thought. Despite Willem's central role in the foundation of the Healing Church and particularly the Choir, their paths ultimately diverged and Byrgenwerth was abandoned by all but a few loyal scholars. Now, at the end of his days and barely even able to speak, he can only sit in his favorite chair and await the arrival of one who can unlock the lake's secret.
Provost Willem Information
- "Talk" to him to gain 2 Insight.
- You cannot speak with Provost Willem, he simply points to the lake.
- Drops 2545 Blood Echoes and Eye Rune if killed, or a Madman's Knowledge if you already have the Rune.
- Provost Willem seems to be incapable of speech by the time the player meets him, only pointing the way towards Rom, the Vacuous Spider, and sighing if the player attempts to talk to him.
Upon examining the skull in the Grand Cathedral:
Laurence: “Master Willem, I've come to bid you farewell.”
Master Willem: “Oh, I know, I know. You think now, to betray me.”
Laurence:“No, but you will never listen. I tell you, I will not forget our adage.”
Master Willem: “...We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open..."
Master Willem & Laurence: "Fear the old blood."
Laurence: “I must take my leave.”
Master Willem: “By the gods, fear it, Laurence."
- Master Willem's most important teaching is the adage "Fear the Old Blood". He encourages all the scholars of his college to seek enlightenment and ascension through other methods except using the Old Blood. Laurence wanted to use The Old Blood, which he believed to be key to mankind's ascension. Master Willem felt betrayed since Laurence didn't follow the "Fear the Old Blood" adage. Laurence later founded the Healing Church and made blood ministration/blood healing the cornerstone of the church.
- According to the Graveguard Set, Provost Willem kept two loyal servants at Bygenwerth. One of them is Dores, who became the graveguard of the forest. The other servant became the password gatekeeper that guards the gate in cathedral ward which leads to the forbidden forest.
- Master Willem's teachings in the College of Byrgenwerth eventually branched out and inspired the development of many organizations, such as The Healing Church, The Choir and The School of Mensis. From the description of the Blindfold Cap, elite members of the healing church, the choir, payed homage to Master Willem's teachings by wearing this cap. According to the Student Set, the healing church borrows heavily its design.
- At this moment, this NPC does not seem to play any significant role beyond dropping Blood Echoes and the Eye Rune if killed.
- When attacked he bleeds "shimmering blood", a blood type also found in to Rom, The Vacuous Spider.
- He has stalks growing out of the flesh on his back. The growths and the flesh can be mistaken for candles and molten wax.
- The growths have a luminous, plantlike quality and they may be a variant of the plants growing out of Rom's back.
- If the Beast Roar is used within distance of him he will jerk and turn towards where it was used (Tested once)
- If he is talked to after the above is done he will no longer point towards Rom, The Vacuous Spider.
- The growths that appear on his back are similar to that of cordyceps fungi, a type of fungus that can affect the brain of its host insects.
- Also these growths are similar to - and may be a primitive form of - what Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos grows on her head.
- If you kill him, he seems to be aggressively cursing someone or something, without saying a word, of course.