- At the cost of 1 Insight, use the Beckoning Bell to summon other hunters, who have used a Small Resonant Bell, as Guests into your world to assist you.
- The Beckoning Bell can also summon NPC guests if used around an in-game note that says: "Ring the Beckoning Bell if you require assistance."
- Summoning an NPC in Online Mode will also attempt to summon a player (at no extra cost to Insight) as well. However, this will also spawn a Chime Maiden.
- After obtaining your first point of Insight, a group of Messengers will appear near the Plain Doll in the Hunter's Dream and grant you the Beckoning Bell as a gift.
- Father Gascoigne can be summoned just behind the lever gate to the left of the Central Yharnam lamp. He can no longer be summoned once the fight with him is initiated, in which case Alfred will replace him at this location.
- Alfred can be summoned in front of the Church of the Good Chalice, to the right of the stairs leading into the dirt road that goes into the church. Alfred can not be summoned unless the player agrees to co-operate with him.
- If the player obtains their first Insight while in the dream (by using Madman's Knowledge), the messengers will not appear immediately and requires a zone restart to become available.
- Dying or using the Silencing Blank will give you back the insight that was consumed by the beckoning bell, assuming that nobody was summoned into your world. Sometimes there can be a delay between using the Silencing Blank and recovering your insight, but it should not last longer than a minute.
- Can only be used in areas containing a boss. Some areas require you to activate certain events before you can summon (ie. Cathedral Ward - You must open all three large gates before you can use multiplayer items.).
- A Host can summon a Guest whose level is within 20 + 20% (always rounded down) levels of her/his own level (ie. a level 27 Host can only summon a Guest whose level is between 4 and 52, inclusive).
- Level range is ignored for co-op if a password is used, ever since Patch 1.04. A password does not affect PvP or invasion level ranges.
- A Guest will appear in a Host's world at the location at which the Guest was standing in her/his own world at the time (s)he was summoned.
- If a Host and Guest are part of opposing covenants (Cainhurst Vilebloods and Executioners), they will, instead, be hostile towards each other.
- A Guest will remain in a Host's world until the Host dies, the Guest dies, an area boss is defeated, or either player uses a Silencing Blank to end the session.
- The Beckoning Bell effect will end if you die, exit your game, ring the Small Resonant Bell, or use any teleport mechanic (Lamps, Hunter's Marks, etc.). However, if you avoid doing any of those things, the effect will persist, allowing you to spend 1 Insight and summon Guests in multiple areas.
- While you can only have two 2 Guests (NPC summon doesn't count) in your world at any given time, the Beckoning Bell's effect will continue summoning/replacing Guests as long as it remains active.
- Co-op bells have a range. If you and a friend are in the same area but very far apart, you will not join, even with the same password, unless you get closer to each other.
- While standing still after ringing the bell, you can see pulsing rings around your character.
- Connection Bug: If you suspend Bloodborne for any reason or set your PS4 to rest mode while Bloodborne is open, the game will not report as such, but you will essentially be offline, disconnected from the server. If you are spending a long time looking for a person to summon or trying to be summoned, this is the reason. Close the Bloodborn app, and restart the game to restore your connection.