|Drops||Blood Vials, Radial Blood Gems|
|Strong Against||Bolt (?)|
Shark Giant is an enemy in The Old Hunters DLC.
There are a total of 4 variations of this enemy, each a single individual fixed to a location.
- Basic unarmed Shark Giant: Found near the well in Fishing Hamlet, this is the weakest Shark Giant. There are several glowing urns by the wall he is waiting behind. Shooting these when he emerges will kill him instantly.
- Basic armed Shark Giant: Found near the Lighthouse Hut lamp, stronger and with better range. The best way to deal with this one early on is to run past him and light the lamp. If he doesn't follow you, he may become available for a back-stab.
- Elite armed Shark Giant: Found inside the well, extremely dangerous and has coral/barnacles on his head. A good way to kill these enemies is to counter them then move in for a visceral attack. It should take about 6 visceral attacks to kill this one. Moving in for regular attacks is not recommended, as it has several quick attacks that deal heavy damage, have huge range, and can cause you to panic and lead to an untimely death. The monster has some really awkward timing for his attacks, so the only way to get counter him is to learn the timing and don't shoot too early. Another way to defeat it in a safe manner can be seen .
- Elite unarmed Shark Giant: Found inside the well, has less range and about half the health of the other Shark Giant in the well. He also has coral/barnacles on his head. This Shark Giant drops the Rakuyo. Initially, he hangs from the cavern's ceiling; you can lock him on, but he is immune to projectiles and won't fall. He drops down when the other one loses about half his health. The best way to deal with both of the enemies is to hit one with a Shaman Bone Blade and let them kill each other. However, to successfully hit one of the Giants with a Shaman Bone Blade, you'll have to time your strike well, as its range is really short and it takes a long time to charge up.
- All Shark Giants are capable of a deadly, four legged charge attack, followed by additional swipes. Dodge sideways not backwards.
- For the armed Shark Giants, always stay at medium range. Some of their attacks are ***** near impossible to avoid when you're close to him.
- The armed Shark Giants posses great range and aggression, their moves also have awkward timing. You'll need to study their moveset carefully before you can efficiently take them down.
- Their health pool and damage output makes them extremely dangerous. Retreating or running past them may be your best option, unless you are trying to get the Rakuyo.
- A more risky, but much quicker option is to bait a regular attack and kite around them, then backstabbing them. Weapons with quick charge up times are recommend, as the window for attack is short. The Boom Hammer is the most optimal for this if investing in a STR/ARC build, as is has a quick and devastating charge attack, and since fish men are generally weak to Fire, it would make dispatching it a more expedient process.
- High ARC builds can take advantage of both the long range and the high scaling damage of tools have to keep there distance while putting pressure on the enemy. A Call From Beyond and the Executioner's Gloves are particularly effective, as the Shark Giants are big enough to be pelted by all the projectiles with relative ease, as well as the Holy Moonlight Sword ranged attacks at killing them at a distance with minimum quicksilver bullet cost.
- Accursed Skull is also good if you plan on using the splash damage to whittle its HP down as it erratically moves around, or if its surrounded by other enemies. For the two Shark Giants in the well, if you didn't manage to kill the one before the other dropped, using this when both are huddled together will severely cut their health, if not outright kill the weaken one.
- Never fight one of these thing without clearing the field before hand, as handling other enemies while fighting with a Shark Giant just increases the chance you will get distracted and ganged up on.
- For the two giants in the well, keep in mind that the one on the ceiling drops only when the other one's health is at 50%. Get it down to just about half health, then lure it to the opposite side of the loop from where the other one is and time a visceral attack. By the time the other one drops in, you should be able to dispatch the first one before having to engage the second.
- Shaman Bone Blades are excellent ways to get these guys to kill themselves, and by knifing them more than once and leading them to other groups of enemies, you can have them throw themselves on it to weaken it while clearing them out at the same time.
- Bloodtinge builds best bet for dealing with these enemies is to use the Simon's Bowblade or a gun charged with ash. Play it safe and keep away from them as you shoot them to death.
- The Gatling Gun and any of the cannons would also tremendously help against them, and even more so on Bloodtinge build.
- If your coop-ing the area, then have your partner either distract or divide the attention of them while you use hit and run tactics to keep it from doing its worst, or gang up on it to finish it off quickly.
- An easy way to defeat the two Shark Giants in the well is to go there via the tunnels. From the Lighthouse Hut lamp go into the tunnels, kill two Brain Trusts and stand at the balcony, right near the edge. You should be able to aggro the Shark Giant with a Throwing Knife, provided you aim it properly with a Monocular. This strategy is safer if you have a long weapon like the Threaded Cane. It can be seen in action here https://goo.gl/b3M0BY.
|Near the Well||3200||4514||6 Blood Vials 100%, Radial Blood Gem (6) ??%||N/A|
|Near the Lighthouse Hut lamp||HP||Echoes||6 Blood Vials 50%||%|
- The glowing urns in the area appear to kill all enemies who get damaged by them, regardless of health. Using this to your advantage can make short work of the giants.
- Shark-Giants have red human blood and slimy green blood.
- Sometimes, the nameless Shark-Giant near the well will drop 19-20% Physical Attack Up Blood Gems, in Radial Shape. At the time of this writing, this particular Shark-Giant is the only one to do so.