Loch Shield Description
"An artisanal shield crafted with blue glass.
Originally used to safeguard the leader presiding over a sacred Healing Church ceremony, and later supplied to tomb prospectors, in particular those exploring the labyrinth of Isz.
The blue is fashioned after a lake, and the shield greatly reduces all forms of non-physical damage. "
Loch Shield Information
- This shield cannot be upgraded nor fortified with blood gems.
- You hold L2 to block attacks with the shield and prevent some damage from being taken.
- The Loch Shield is considered an upgrade when compared to the Wooden Shield in terms of overall damage prevented.
- Research Hall: The Loch Shield can be seen right when entering on a platform together with one of the crawling experiments. It's obtained after activating the lever to raise the stairs, then dropping and following the path down.
- The Loch Shield functions in a similar manner to the Wooden Shield.
- However, because the Loch Shield prevents high amounts of non-physical damage, it can actually be incredibly useful when dealing with some powerful abiliites/attacks.
- This means being able to potentially survive non-physical attacks that would normally deal high amounts of damage, such as A Call Beyond.
- Likewise, it shouldn't be completely relied on for this reason, but it certainly can help in the event you feel that you won't successfully dodge the attack.
- It also greatly reduces damage from gunfire, allowing you to more safely close the distance on opponents who use firearms with non-explosive projectiles.
- In short, this shield is very good at preventing incidental long-ranged (and non-physical) damage.
- Keep in mind that the Loch Shield can also be potentially useful against melee combatants who deal non-physical damage, such as PVPers who focused on arcane builds for instance.
- This shield also shares many of the same weaknesses that the Wooden Shield had as well.
- It doesn't prevent harmful status afflictions even while blocking (e.g. Frenzy).
- The Loch Shield isn't useful for physical damage prevention, and is even weaker than the Wooden Shield in this regard.
- Varying amounts of damage is reduced when blocking with the shield; testing done by gamefaqs user TMK showed the following results:
- Loch is the Irish and Scottish gaelic word for "lake". This reinforces the game's overall concept that bodies of water serve as a bulwark against various elements.
- This shield, compared to the Wooden Shield, is actually competent and can be useful for some battles.
- However, it can still be argued that you can effectively prevent all damage in Bloodborne by simply dodging the attacks and using Rally to survive battles of attrition.
- Still, if you're looking to use a shield, either for protection or for thematic reasons, the Loch Shield is a better alternative overall than the Wooden Shield.